estimated horsepower with these upgrades

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
i was wondering what you guys would think my horsepower would be with these upgrades.. i have a 88 turbo supra with 107k on it.. i have arp head studs and titan motorsports metal headgasket..60-1 trim turbo, spearco front mount, brian crower 264 cams, stage 3 clutch with lightened flywheel, 3in catback,3in downpipe, hks intake cooleeze inlet pipe, boost controller running about 10-11psi. and also whats the most boost i can run without fuel cut.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
You may find the cams hurt your power level.

I say this from experience. I used to run a 57trim CT-26 with clipped exhaust wheel and when I went to HKS 264 cams I lost alot of midrange torque and lost a few max hp, and this was after tuning the cam timing mixtures etc on the dyno.

The only saving grace was that the motor now maintained power up to 7,000 rpm which my Mines ECY let me rev the motor to, on a standard ECU it would have been a waste of time.

I know of someone else who ran 264s and took them out for this reason. I even asked the tuner to take them out but he said to keep them because I planned to upgrade the turbo.

I'll have more detail in the build thread I am putting together. Slowly. :biglaugh:

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
hks_trd;965559 said:
You may find the cams hurt your power level.

I say this from experience. I used to run a 57trim CT-26 with clipped exhaust wheel and when I went to HKS 264 cams I lost alot of midrange torque and lost a few max hp, and this was after tuning the cam timing mixtures etc on the dyno.

The only saving grace was that the motor now maintained power up to 7,000 rpm which my Mines ECY let me rev the motor to, on a standard ECU it would have been a waste of time.

I know of someone else who ran 264s and took them out for this reason. I even asked the tuner to take them out but he said to keep them because I planned to upgrade the turbo.

I'll have more detail in the build thread I am putting together. Slowly. :biglaugh:

hmm really. it feels like its not that crazy actually until i hit like 4k-4500 rpms.. like a partial dog .. not too bad though.. i think ive heard that it would add mid range torque from people

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Whats seems to be more important for cams on a turbo car is lift, however to get serious lift in a 7M-GTE one needs to machine the head to clear the cam lobes and then switch to under-shim buckets which costs mucho $$$$$

Maybe a smaller duration camshaft would be better. We found that pulling all the overlap out, which smoothed out the idle, worked best for my cams. Also, IIRC moving the intake cam did not have much effect, but moving the exhaust (and we did re-set the ignition timing every time we adjusted the exhuast cam) did have an effect on the power curve. I think I have the dyno plots somewhere of stock vs HKS cams and with a few different cam timing settings.

I think my mechanic summed it up best when he said "it just goes to show you how good the factory camshafts can work on a turbo car" If I didnt go to my current setup I would probably have taken the camshafts out

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
hks_trd;966049 said:
Whats seems to be more important for cams on a turbo car is lift, however to get serious lift in a 7M-GTE one needs to machine the head to clear the cam lobes and then switch to under-shim buckets which costs mucho $$$$$

Maybe a smaller duration camshaft would be better. We found that pulling all the overlap out, which smoothed out the idle, worked best for my cams. Also, IIRC moving the intake cam did not have much effect, but moving the exhaust (and we did re-set the ignition timing every time we adjusted the exhuast cam) did have an effect on the power curve. I think I have the dyno plots somewhere of stock vs HKS cams and with a few different cam timing settings.

I think my mechanic summed it up best when he said "it just goes to show you how good the factory camshafts can work on a turbo car" If I didnt go to my current setup I would probably have taken the camshafts out

ok so in other words are you telling me my car would be a good amount faster if i put my stock cams back in vs keeping the brian crower 264's in?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
You will most likely prefer the way it drives, the mid-range will be alot stronger. Now one thing to also consider is if your head has been ported or not, or if you run standard valve size

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
hks_trd;966068 said:
Out of curiosity what is the idle like on your motor and what speed do you have your base idle set at?

it idles at like 650 rpms with a slight lope not too much.. but yeaa i do feel the lag i guess u could call it in the mid range.. then after like 4500 it like kicks in hard..and i love mid range power on cars.... so i pretty much wasted 600 dollars on cams for nothing huh?

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
hks_trd;966063 said:
You will most likely prefer the way it drives, the mid-range will be alot stronger. Now one thing to also consider is if your head has been ported or not, or if you run standard valve size

and the head is standard valve size and not ported.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
s7mgte;966087 said:
it idles at like 650 rpms with a slight lope not too much.. but yeaa i do feel the lag i guess u could call it in the mid range.. then after like 4500 it like kicks in hard..and i love mid range power on cars.... so i pretty much wasted 600 dollars on cams for nothing huh?

It could be worse, I paid a shitload for the HKS a few years ago, back then the Crower were not available AFAIK. Still there is a solution, put a big turbo on :biglaugh:

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
hks_trd;966270 said:
It could be worse, I paid a shitload for the HKS a few years ago, back then the Crower were not available AFAIK. Still there is a solution, put a big turbo on :biglaugh:
i have a 60-1 on but apparently thats not big enough.. but i mean is it really that much of a difference if i put the stock cams back in that its worth it to take the new ones out.. like how much power difference are we talking about here?