Error Code 14, no start

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I have a 1991 Supra Turbo and I am having ignition problems. I tested the coil-packs in an unsafe and now to be determined, invalid way. I imagine you can assume the attempt I made but just in case you can't, I pull the sparkplug wires off the coilpacks 1 by 1 and had someone attempt to start the car. Coilpack 1 had no spark. I replaced the coil pack (have not tested this coil pack which could be the problem, but 2 bad seems kinda odd) and nothing happened. What happens when I attempt to start the car is...

1. I turn the key (sometimes I have to hold the key turned, nothing happens for a while)
2. The car cranks and the car attempts to start, it sputters and will continue to sputter until I stop or rarely the car will stop itself.

One time after replacing the coilpack I felt like it was going to start. You can sorta tell when a car is about there, and it felt like it was...

The previous owner installed a 7MGTE into the car (came stock with the GTE) and the car was running he says. I traced the coilpack wires back to one 4 pin connector near the right side of the head. One wire seems to be cut (still connected, but the rubber wrap around it is cut to expose the wire). My mechanic is going to take a look at the problem, but I am trying to give him some helpful hints as to what to look for and what may be causing the problem. I have looked into replacing the ignition box as that might be the problem but I don't want to make any moves until we sorta have an idea of the problem. I reset the ECU after I installed the coilpack and still nothing.

EDIT: Error code 14 is now gone... I am throwing no codes

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
code 14 is a failure of the IGf signal (ignition fail). When a coil pack is fired the igniter senses the firing and generates an IGf. It's a confirmation spark occurred. If the ECU doesn't see the IGf signal it will kill fuel to the two injectors fed by that coil and the engine will run badly.

As note above, start with the wiring, especially in a swap. Use an ohmmeter to confirm the wiring from igniter to coil packs, and igniter to TCSS. Make sure nothing got miswired, especially confirm the IGdA and IGdB wires aren't crossed over.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well... I just went out to work on it again... and it is doing the same things as it did with code 14, except replacing the coil pack fixed the error code 14... so the above symptoms.... no error code 14.... fuel problem?

The car is at my mechanics, he just hasn't had time to pull it in so I have been working on it in his parking lot... him and another mechanic heard it turn over... first things out of 1 of their mouths... sounds like it wants to start... then my mechanic said, yea, it seems like a fuel problem....

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
No, I was told the previous owner timed it before I got it... so it is possible the timing is off... I will have to make another trip to verify that...

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Better go back to basics if you don't know the history of the engine, pull the front cover off and make sure all your timing marks line up. Then remove and refit the cps as per tsrm (might want to replace the rubber O ring while you have it out). Now you should know the timing is where it needs to be to run.