Engine won't stay running

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
Finished putting 1jz into the car and it runs (poorly), but only if you constantly pump the throttle. If you hold it down, steady, or idle, it dies. Anyone have any experience with something similar? Also, there are no codes popping up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Things to check, in order:

-CPS
-timing
-ISCV

When you check all those things out and make sure they're set properly, report back.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ummm. You cant change the timing manually on a 1jz.

Id start by opening the ecu and seeing what it looks like. One of the first things i did when i got mine.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
hvyman;1743638 said:
Ummm. You cant change the timing manually on a 1jz.

Id start by opening the ecu and seeing what it looks like. One of the first things i did when i got mine.

I figure he means mechanical timing but that would more so make the car not start if all 3 cps's are out of alignment.

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
I guess the threadline should now read "Engine idles just fine, won't run" . Checked the inputs to the fuel injectors, TPS, 02, coolant, CPS, MAP sensor, and they appear to be feeding good info to the ECU. Would like to check the fuel pressure, but finding a place to tie into is a joke. Could have a vacuum leak somewhere, but can't find anything not sealed. If the throttle is pumped, the engine will run off idle, but really poorly. Anyone with experience of something similar?

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

FYI. The ECU looks just great, with no leakage or corrosion.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Is it really really lumpy running? Could possibly be misfiring badly if that's the case. I would say check your wiring for the spark plugs (seen that mixed up on a 7m and caused all sorts of fun havoc), but I dunno how you'd mix your coil packs up on a 1j...

You try asking it nicely to cooperate? Helps sometimes...