Engine won't rev past 2k RPM

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Well, finally got my Supra running, with a hitch anyways.

When in neutral the engine will rev past 2K with no problem, but when in drive it will stop at 2k and kick back down to 1500 in any gear. It's almost like it in a "valet mode".

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
kHaNg;991280 said:
unless ur on low fuel and going down a hill?

Ok, I suppose that might be similar enough of a feeling to confuse the two, but if the car continues to run regularly below 2K... it's usually not "being out of gas".

But, since you mention the light is on.... why not add a gallon or two and see if it runs fine then???

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Looks like decel fuel cut to me. I assume it does this even with the pedal buried. The IDL contact in the TPS is staying closed. The way to quickly confirm it is to go into diagnostic mode and with the key on and engine off press the gas pedal. You should see a code 51. If you don't then that's the problem. You could also try running the engine with the TPS unplugged. It the problem goes away or behaves differently that's the problem. If it remains the wiring is bad. Do the code 51 thing first though.

edit: wait...you say it revs OK in neutral? Never mind. You should still check for codes though.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Yeah I was pedal to the metal during that video. I got a little time to mess with it today and unplugged the TPS. Fixed the problem, but not it idles at 2500, is the only way to adjust the idle speed by rotating the TPS?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Idle speed isn't adjustable. But it is "adjusted" by having TPS out of adjustment, timing, dash pot adjusted too far out, that is about all I can think of.