Engine temp?

305racing

chris
Feb 5, 2008
Miami
i starte thinking......i want to get some electric fans with temp control. My problem is i dont know wat the normal operating temp for my engine is, i have a 89 7mgte............................!:aigo:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Search "electric fans," and pay attention to posts on that topic from SupraCentral. Search "fan clutch," and look for posts by Jetjock.

The operating temperature for this engine is basically the same as any other fuel injected engine. If you don't know what it is, you might not want to "upgrade"(or fuck up) one of the most critical parts of the cooling system. Try doing maintenance (i.e.: hoses, thermostat, cooling system flush, rebuild the fan clutch) first, and do some research on how the cooling systems works, and why. You'd be better off getting a better radiator, and leaving the stock fan in place.

Here's a good place to start: http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=CO&P=2 Study that, and the next page or two as well.

Edit: lol, nm. Kc made it easy for you...

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Far from easy. The stated range is common knowledge. Keeping the engine operating in that range is another trick all unto itself. That is a whole other subject that has been covered quite well by many others as you pointed out.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Kckazdude;988421 said:
Normal operating range is 195-210.

Actually the temp range the ECU looks for is 176-210 deg F. Below that, the motor is in warm-up enrichment...above, the ECU retards timing. 190 is the temp the stock thermostat opens to allow coolant to the radiator.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If your shroud is in poor shape or you're missing the undertray, it can push the coolant temps to the upper part of the range. Fan clutch condition has an impact as well. You want your coolant at 190-200 degs.