engine temp guage actin wierd???

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
red88suprat said:
i drove the car and only when i let off the gas after boost is when this happens.. the needle just goes down and then comes back up... i have not messed with any guages or anything?????

that is EXACTLY what my car did. The mist on the mani sounds like you might have found a lead...but if not, seriously check your sensor!:icon_evil

*edit* Oh yeah...

OMGWTFBBQBHG!?!!!!!:(

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well...I'm not sure if anyone said it yet, but take off your oil cap...and on the bottom side of it, look to see if there is any white, milky looking fluid on the bottom side of your oil cap. If so, that's not good.:(

The sensor...

Check it to make sure it's plugged in and the casing of the sensor itself is not loose or anything. That was my problem...my wire ripped out of the sensor and on my water temp. gauge, it would read normal and when I let off the gas(usually), it would drop really low and then go back up really fast.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jspec7m88 said:
Well...I'm not sure if anyone said it yet, but take off your oil cap...and on the bottom side of it, look to see if there is any white, milky looking fluid on the bottom side of your oil cap. If so, that's not good.:( .

I did post #4.....

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
If your gauge is dropping down quickly, you probably have a loose connection on your temperature sensor. The sensor for the gauge is on the bottom rear portion of the thermostat housing. Have somebody look at the gauge while you wiggle the wire.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
my car does this except when i push the throttle any harder than normal driving it will go down slightly. If i mat the gas and boost like crazy my guage will go right down the bottom as if it were dead cold and will make a little blip upwards about 1 tick every shift. As soon as i get off the throttle it moves up to the normal postion (starts as soon as i let off the throttle but doesnt get to the normal position till about 3 seconds later). Anyone have any ideas for this?

leemk3

Aug 28, 2005
yeah its and electrical prob. seen it many times before, usually increase in gauge temp corrisponding with boost, but may show gauge temps. inaccurate in either too cold or too hot, ...i used to work for toyota as a technician, and i own a 450 hp monster myself. ive seen this prob- even on my own car a few times. lots of techs change temp sensors and dash gauges... my gut feeling is it is in the printed circuit board behind instrument cluster. easiest fix- buy good quality afermarket gauge ( autometer cool. temp etc etc...)
pull out dash, ...install new gauge and sensor and get modern, accurate readings without all the guess work- very important if running a modded turbo inline6 and you cant replace that piece of mind not having to think your "head gasket is blown" ..which is said WAY too much in any discussion reg: supras....supra engines are very resilliant, most blown HG probs are poor maint. and neglect, or potato chip begs between rad and intercooler( no joke)