engine swap from 89' to 91' HELP!

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
O.k. so heres the deal, i had an 89 tubo and wrecked it. I salvaged the engine, wiring harness and ecu to swap into a new body. I ended up picking up a 91' non turbo to put my drivetrain in. Heres the problem, the body harnesses are completly different... what are my options here? Has anyone else encountered this issue? Thanks for any input!

Jon

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
ive been comparing both of the harnesses and the 91 body harness has quite a few more wires than the 89. For example the white plug on the 91 body harness has 17 wires, whereas the 89 only has 13. I believe that the ecu plugs are grey.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
I bet your plugs could be yellow, it seems to be that way I think 89 did have yellow the early ones.. If I were you get a new wiring harness and ecu for 89 late model or 90,91,92.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Take the body harness out of your 89. I won't lie, it can be a bitch at times but unless you want to find another wiring harness for you engine then this is the best option. I swapped the body harness out of my 87 into my 86.5 so I could have the supermonitor so it can be done, it's just labor intensive.

All 89's have grey plugs. Early 89's are compatible with pre 89 engine harnesses but later ones are not.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
so if it wasnt compatible (late 89+) it wouldnt even be possible to hook up the pre 89 ecu and engine harness?

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The ecu and harness plugs are grey. so it should be a plug'n'play deal right? Wrong, this is giving me a headache. Swapping the dash harness isnt even an option at this point because the car is at the scrapyard... boo.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The early '89 harness will be grey anyhow. Mine was, and connected up perfectly to an '87T ECU harness, with minor exceptions.

I'll bet though, that the '89T motor mounts were square, not round like the '91 mounts are.

If you had an early model '89 (And the motor mounts are the biggest giveaway) then the harnesses will NOT be compatable.

Your best bet: Get an ECU and engine wiring harness from a '91T, and install that. You should be able to sell off your ECU and harness (Heck if it's for a 5 speed, I may want it, so that I can run a proper '89T harness and ECU, which will make my car something less of a chimera.)