Engine stalls at stops

7mCooMo

needs boost
Oct 13, 2007
Cali
:1zhelp: So my engine stalls at lights or stops, this only happens when the engine is cold (most of the time). For example, when i start the car for the first time in the morning. It starts fine, I go down the block shift into 2nd (i have a 5-speed) then push the clutch and put the car into neutral to prepare to stop. When I do stop the call will stall. The only way form getting the car not to stall is to hold the gas down as to get a steady rpm, witch is kinda hard when braking.

any thoughts?

p.s. my car now has 125k on it witch motor oil should i consider using?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
1) What's the rpm just after a cold start? Is it high and then falls as the engine warms up?

2) Do you hear a clicking in the engine bay just after turning the engine off?

3) Cooodddeees?

Cali? Use a 5-30 oil. Heavier if consumption is high. 10-40 for example.

7mCooMo

needs boost
Oct 13, 2007
Cali
jetjock;916892 said:
1) What's the rpm just after a cold start? Is it high and then falls as the engine warms up?

2) Do you hear a clicking in the engine bay just after turning the engine off?

3) Cooodddeees?

Cali? Use a 5-30 oil. Heavier if consumption is high. 10-40 for example.

just after a cold start it will run like 500 rpm thats if it doesnt stall first. after the engine is at running temp the rpm is normal (idles at 900 rpm).

the only code i am getting is code 51.

yea my car eats oil like a fat kid eats cake. so i guess 10-40 it is.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Mine did the same thing but stopped after I changed the 02 sensor, you could be running too rich when cold.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
My two cents: The code 51 is going to cause an idle problem because as long as it's there the idle speed control system is disabled.

On the other hand it should have nothing to do with low idle after a cold start because the ISCV steps fully open at engine shutdown regardless of whether the TPS is working. Verify it's doing so by shutting the engine down at hot idle then unplugging the valve and doing a restart. RPM should be around 1400.

If that checks out the cause of low idle when cold may be a bad coolant sensor, which would cause you to not only have a low cold idle but also run lean until the engine warms up. Fix the 51 before doing anything else though because it also effects ignition timing.