Engine Seized?

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Installed new engine. cranked repeatedly. Started it once. Rough idle, TPS code thrown. Shut down. Checked oil, coolant:good. Started it again, same. shut it down. looked for oil leaks and assorted things. Two more cycles. On attempt of last startup NOTHING. starter tries to turn engine NOTHING. I tried to turn the engine after a day of turkey. NOTHING!!!!! any Ideas?

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
How do you know its not your starter? Have you tried putting a socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the moter turns? Then you can fall back on a starter or the power to the starter as the problem. GL.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Oh, and I DID put a 19mm socket onthe crank bolt and I DID use a breaker bar with a 4 foot extension on it to try to move it with nada. Sorry I didn't mention it before.....I'm a little freaked out

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
My girl is about to shoot me with a couple dozen cc's of valium so that I don't do something REALLY stupid.......any idea where I should go from here?

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
If your sure that the motor is seized, as you tried to turn the crank pulley with the trans in neutral and nothing gives, your easiest route is to just pull the motor back out and figure out what happened once its out. Either that or tear it apart while in the car, but it will be easier once out. You said it was new. Did it have any type of warranty with it. Typically, even a used motor comes with a 30day guarantee. GL.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Yeah it's new, as in rebuilt from the bearings up....just that it took me six months to get it into the car and turned over.....time to go to work:icon_evil

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
Have you pulled the plugs to see if you have filled a cylinder with coolant? kind of a longshot, but worth checking. My money is on a crank problem........

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
OKay this is odd. I had a socket on the crank and with a breaker bar and an 4 foot pipe on there and with nearly everything I've got I couldn't budge it. After I got done reading these posts I went out swapped batteries added my girls car into the circuit and blammo fucker kicks over........I'm at a loss. Why would there be smoke coming from my oil cap?

No on the plugs

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
What were your bearing clearances?
Did you lube up the bearings?
What are your mains / rods torqued to?
Did the crank turn smoothly during assembly?

If it's your bearings, and it took that much force to turn it over, I'd be nervous about spinning one!

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
I had my machinist assemble my head and block, I just put the two together.....I'm not sure about the numbers, except he said that everything was good to go (paraphrased)

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
so its running now? Whats your oil pressure? Whats the temps at? Any unusual noises? That motor should have a warranty if your machinist put the bottom end together. It might be time to give him a call.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
You should have turned the crank to make sure it rotates freely when you got the engine back from your mechanic.

Do you know if he honed the cylinders to the correct finish? If he didnt, it would make it difficult to turn the crankshaft but you still would be able to do it.

Maybe he overtorqued the main bearing caps or didnt install the crankshaft thrust washer correctly. That could jam the crankshaft. Ask him what torque settings he used on the bearings caps.

Why dont you remove the timming belt from the head and turn the crankshaft? That way you could isolate where the problem lies...
Maybe pull the flywheel cover off and check to see if it is jammed or bent...

Cheers,
Roy

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Thanks to all. I pulled the timing belt to ensure the cam gears turned freely: the did. No other pulleys were to blame. I reinstalled everything. replaced the battery with the one in my Sienna, and jumped that with my girls car after pulling the EFI fuse: It turned right over. I could Not duplicate my original issue trying a bunch of different things. It was weird....couldn't budge it with a 4 foot lever on the crankshaft and now it idles.....badly, but that's a TPS issue I hoped to have fixed tonite. maybe tomorrow I'LL BE DRIVING MY FREAKING CAR WOOHOO, sob...........