SLC, UT
These were the compression test results:

Cyl 1: 180
Cyl 2: 180
Cyl 3: 60
Cyl 4:180
Cyl 5: 180
Cyl 6: 155

After the first test I tested all cylinders again and came up with the same results.
I tested cylinders 3 and 6 again after pouring a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder. The results were
Cyl 3: 65
Cyl 6: 175

Well I did a leakdown test on my car to see where the air was escaping from, so far I have only tested the 1st cylinder which came up as 180 psi compression and the 3rd cylinder which came up as 60 psi compression. The car wasn't warm so I am probably getting lower results then if it was. On the 1st cylinder the leakdown was right between the low and moderate area at 15% leakdown, there was a small amount of air coming out of the pcv system and oil dipstick, which is probably because the engine wasn't warm and there was no oil sealing around the rings. The 3rd cylinder was at 85% leakdown and I could feel alot of air coming out of the pcv system and the oil dipstick so it has to be a problem with the rings or piston. I still need to test the rest of the cylinders. Later.

I started prepping the engine to be pulled last night at 10:30 and worked until around 3:00am. I am just taking my time and taking lots of beer breaks :). This is the progress so far:

BTW I would like to thank Dr. J for his great write up on engine removal on MKIIItech.com. I removed my engine once previously to install a rebuilt engine and it took me forever. I didn't pull the ECU harness through the firewall and had to take the Intake mani and tons of other accessoreis off to make sure I had all the clips undone. I am sure it took me forever because of the learning curve but it seems like I will have the engine out with only about 8 or less hours of work. Here is the link...Dr. J's Engine Removal Thread

Before...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took off Intake and IC Piping...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pulled the fan and radiator...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Power Steering Pump Out of the Way...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Removed ECU Harness and Pulled out Through Firewall...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Removed Electrical Connectors Attached to body near the engine fuse box...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Did a little more work on prepping for engine removal today.
Progress Pics:

DP unbolted from Elbow:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fuel Feed Line Seperated:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Note: You should use flare ended wrenches to remove the fuel lines. I didn't have metric wrenches but a 1/2 inch flare wrench and 3/4 flare wrench worked perfectly. Make sure you load up on the WD-40 before you try to break them loose, if that doesn't work get some PB Blaster or an equivalent penetrating oil.

Parts Removed:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Zip Locks are Key, Stick it in the bag label it and you are good to go
sm_photo_missing.jpg

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well I got a new engine stand today since I don't want to borrow someones for however long it takes to rebuild or swap parts over to a new longblock if ATK warranties it. I have all the prep work done before I pull the motor, I honestly have to say it went 100 times easier then when I pulled it the first time, back then there was no Supraforums or Supramania just Sogi and Sonic...these boards are definately a huge help. I will be borrowing an engine hoist tomorrow from my previous employer, thank god I left on good terms :). Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to pull the engine. Later.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well I finished prepping everything to pull the engine and pulled it right out. Everything went smooth. Now I gotta put the engine on the stand and tear it apart to see what is causing low compression in cylinder 3. Here are some pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
you unbolted the tranny? May I ask why? I've never pulled a motor before so I'm not ragging on you, just thought that pulling the motor and trans at the same time is easier. Good progress so far tho! What are you gonna be re-building your motor with internally wise?

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
aye mate said:
you unbolted the tranny? May I ask why? I've never pulled a motor before so I'm not ragging on you, just thought that pulling the motor and trans at the same time is easier. Good progress so far tho! What are you gonna be re-building your motor with internally wise?

I really don't think it is that bad pulling just the engine, this is how I pulled it before, installation is a little harder but last time it took me two tries before I got it to slide on the input shaft. I gotta pull the head off and inspect cylinder 3. It is under warranty through ATK, so they might send me a new longblock.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
yeah ziplock bags or a fishing tackle box. they have all kinds of little compartments that work great for nuts and bolts. not so good for the big stuff though. good luck with the rebuild.