Engine rebuild help!!

Loco350z

May 7, 2008
atx
hey guys im new to the froums. I just bought a 91 supra 7m-gte i had some problems at frist to start it. bit i replaced the fuel pump and i got it running only to find out that it had rod nock. so now im thinking About doing a rebild ont teh bottom end and later to the head. so wht klind of pistons .rods, bolts, bearings, rings, oil pump, hg, ect i should go with. in new to when it comes to the engine internals. i wana get all the parts and just have a machine shop do the labor. i want a reliable engine able to take up to 600 hp or more.thanks!:naughty:

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
there is so much good info on here. Im a newbie and im just lovin it. soak it up man and read as much as you can. :)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
^ What He said, also:

In my opinion the #1 rule when building an engine, is be organised. Take things apart in order (follow the TSRM) and put all the bolts in their own bags and label everything! Label what cylinder everything comes from and keep it all in order.

And definitely don't buy parts until you take it apart and have everything inspected first.

Obviously there are some exceptions like headstuds...

88supraFAST1

7M WHAT
Feb 8, 2006
Battle Ground, Wa
AVP you are right there is a bunch of info on here, just do lost of reading. But if i was trying to build a good engine i would go with some eagle rods with come clevite 77 bearings or TODA bearing, wisco pistons. HKS HG, ARP bolts, TODA Or other high flow oil pump. I would also look at injectors, a FPR and a 255LPH or better fuel pump. Also a new water pump, timing belt, all new gaskets. ECT. ECT.

Loco350z

May 7, 2008
atx
yha im still reeading lots of info in here. great site!! but since i have no clue about the internals of the 7m i just wanted to know wht were the best ones out there. i still have to save up some of the money and wait to sell my 350z

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
88supraFAST1;1027371 said:
I though they did, then whats the new one's they just came out with.

OEM oil pumps are "high flow"... our oiling system is a High Flow Low pressure design... dont be fooled by the "high flow" oil pumps out there...

and here are the 77 bearings... i dont know why you said they dont make them, as i just ordered a set from titan which got them FROM clevite... lol

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Itemclevite77bearingset7m.php

Machine work:

Block - clean it, align hone with ARP main studs, bore cylinders with a torque plate, deck the head.

Head - clean it, disassemble and replace valve guides as needed, replace the valve stem seals, adjust shims. Helicoil exhaust studs to prevent future troubles (and lots of swearing)

crank - clean it, take out the oil plugs and clean those out too, either polish or cut .10/.10 (main and rods)

and balance the whole assembly too! DO NOT forget to do that...

My setup:
Clevite Bearings
Eagle Rods
Probe Pistons (.40 over)
ARP everything!
HKS 3mm head gasket (as i want lower CR)
shimmed my oil pump 5mm

titanmotorsports.com
driftmotion.com
jscspeed.com
those 3 are all good vendors!

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I personally would not go .40 over on any pistons if i don't have to.....but what he said about the oil pump is correct. The only thing i would recommend buying from TODA is cams....

+1 on the helicoil of exhaust studs....ask me how i know

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Rennat;1027401 said:
and here are the 77 bearings... i dont know why you said they dont make them, as i just ordered a set from titan which got them FROM clevite... lol

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Itemclevite77bearingset7m.php

Hey man not to rain on your parade but I'll 95% bet you those are not "REAL" Clevites. Take the bearings out of the Boxes and look on the back they will be stamped with "NDC". I've bought over three set's of "clevite77's" over the last 2/3yrs and not one set were true Clevites.

Good luck on your Build though !

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
BoostedFloto;1027651 said:
Hey man not to rain on your parade but I'll 95% bet you those are not "REAL" Clevites. Take the bearings out of the Boxes and look on the back they will be stamped with "NDC". I've bought over three set's of "clevite77's" over the last 2/3yrs and not one set were true Clevites.

Good luck on your Build though !

I'm not making this up guys, Clevite still markets and sells the 77's, but they don't make them themselves anymore, so they AREN'T 77's! Unless you got a really old batch ;)

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Jaguar_5;1027806 said:
I'm not making this up guys, Clevite still markets and sells the 77's, but they don't make them themselves anymore, so they AREN'T 77's! Unless you got a really old batch ;)

I know which is why I said they are repackaged NDC's ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
uhh... ok? lol
NDC makes a lot of bearings. go ask IJ.

if your saying DONT buy the "clevite" NDC bearings, then whats your reasoning?

and as far as going .40 over, i bought a set of pistons off here that were .40 over, and it was a deal i couldnt pass up. but if i would have wanted to spend the extra $100+ then i could have just gone .20... and im sure its fine going that much over, or else they wouldnt make them.

i still havent even gotten my head on... still waiting for my head gasket to come in! then the helicoil fun shall begin!
and when you helicoil, measure how DEEP the hole really is, the OEM studs BARELY go half deep in there... theres a good amount of space not used inside, so dont just reuse the oem studs, go get some longer ones!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
BoostedFloto;1027821 said:
I know which is why I said they are repackaged NDC's ;)

I wasn't correcting you, I was using you as a second person backing me up, sorry it didn't come across like that :biglaugh:

Rennat;1027968 said:
uhh... ok? lol
NDC makes a lot of bearings. go ask IJ.

if your saying DONT buy the "clevite" NDC bearings, then whats your reasoning?

If you want the NDC bearings, buy them from NDC and save money.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Jaguar_5;1028197 said:
I wasn't correcting you, I was using you as a second person backing me up, sorry it didn't come across like that :biglaugh:

If you want the NDC bearings, buy them from NDC and save money.

haha ok ya I thought u were saying I was wrong no biggie.....:biglaugh:

Rennat:

Nothing is wrong with buying the "Clevite77's/NDC's" I've bought 3 set's of them over the years. I just wanted to make sure you knew they were not the real old fashioned "clevite77's" they are repackaged nowadays....

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
umm... if the clevites were ANY cheaper... i would be like wtf? you can get a FULL set from titanmotorsports for like HALF of some of the other vendors... shop around, and you'll be amazed on prices for some of this stuff, it kinda makes you question why it costs double from some places...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you'll save more if you were to piece that kit together. PM some of the vendors on here, espeically suprarich (sip racing) and he'll hook you up with a set of eagle rods for an unbelieveable price!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Why dose every one come here to SM in hopes of building a 600 hp supra. Why is that? DO they think they just give them out on the street corner like drugs?!?!?!?!?
Step 1 is to get $5 grand in your hand.
Also here is a easy way to get the 600 hp base line engine.
http://www.legendofaces.com/Package_4.htm

Last edited: