engine oil in plug valley

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
no quite sure how to explain this, but i changed my plugs for the first time since i bought my supra. when i pulled the wire off there was an inch or so of oil on the cap, i looked in the hole and there is a bunch of oil just sitting there. i went on changing the plugs figuring the previous owner my have spilled oil in there somehow, but i checked a week or so later and the oil was back.

unrelated problem, when i start it alot of times it likes to sit there and chug between 500 and 1000rpm. it seems to be worse when its cold.

any info is greatly appreciated

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
The main thing that leaks that can cause oil in the plug galley, are the valve cover gaskets. Another gasket to look at, is the "galley cover"; as the 4 plugs also seal up oil passages in the head and can also leak.

Kota;1435300 said:
unrelated problem, when i start it alot of times it likes to sit there and chug between 500 and 1000rpm. it seems to be worse when its cold.

It may not be unrelated. If you have oil in the plug galley, then it could be causing your engine to misfire. Fix your oil leak(s), and see if the problem goes away. Also, have you checked for codes? That may steer you in the right direction of the misfire.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
deabionni;1435313 said:
The main thing that leaks that can cause oil in the plug galley, are the valve cover gaskets. Another gasket to look at, is the "galley cover"; as the 4 plugs also seal up oil passages in the head and can also leak.

It may not be unrelated. If you have oil in the plug galley, then it could be causing your engine to misfire. Fix your oil leak(s), and see if the problem goes away. Also, have you checked for codes? That may steer you in the right direction of the misfire.

What he said ^^ but I will add that oil indeed WILL cause a misfire.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
it will cause a misfire ..when i was getting a misfire i said " let me check to see the condition on the sparkplugs only to find a pool of oil " lmao. just change the stock phi;ips head with some hex head bolts and i also changed my gasket for the valve cover

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Kota;1435317 said:
if it was throwing a code would the check engine light come on?

Not always. You can have codes without the CEL coming on.

RiyadYar;1435322 said:
...just change the stock philips head with some hex head bolts and i also changed my gasket for the valve cover

If you do change out the screws with bolts, just remember that they only get tightened to 22 INCH pounds. NOT foot pounds. If you over tighten them, it'll cause a leak; or worse, you could snap the tabs off the head where the bolts screw into.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
this is a known issue with our 7ms, its happened to me a couple times.
Like they said new gaskets, and upgrade your bolts.
if there is enough oil in there it will ground the spark to the head causing misfire or steady miss.
first time it happened to me I freaked out and didnt know wtf was goin on.....

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
^^Haha, I freaked out to. And mine was on a rebuilt engine. ugh

But yeah check the gakets for the valve covers or replace them 21.38$ from advanced auto parts, or damn near close to it. I changed my valve gaskets yesterday actually, Extremely simple job.If you have basic mechanics skills it shouldnt take you longer than 1.5 hours. Took me longer because I CLEAN EVERYTHING.:icon_bigg

As for the spark plug valley, make sure it isnt warped or bent anywhere. Mine is and if the valve covers leak again the oil gets in easily. So just a few things to check out.

Hope this helped you a little bit.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
it happened to me within the first week i bought my car i was like great i got scrwed i was sup happy when it was just a gasket and screws

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
my engine was "supposedly" rebuilt, but there are no receipts... so i highly doubt it

anyway, its been about a year since i bought the car and everything is slowly starting to go wrong. its my daily so its a bit frustrating.

but i will definitely get new gaskets and bolts