Engine light on dash controlled by?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Went to start my car at a friends house last night and it would crank over forever but not actually fire up. I noticed the engine light on the dashboard was not lighting up...so I fiddled with the fuses in the engine bay/kick panel (I took out the brake light one) and it fired right up.

What fuse actually controls the light and the starting of the engine? I don't want this happening again and I need to chase down the culprit lol.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Thanks, I'll look it over soon, I'm hanging my laptop out a window and borrowing my neighbors wireless =X

I doubt the fuse did anything, I don't remember why I took it out either.

Thanks for the hint too :) I'm sure I can find the culprit now.

edit: Looking back through my old posts, found the culprit: using IJ's logic of 'what have I fucked with and could it be the problem' I realized I had a fuse tap running off of the IGN fuse in the drivers kick panel. I could take the fuse and the fuse tap and wiggle it back and forth a bit...bad connection. Moved it to a different fuse that I could care less about, problem went away.

I figured leaving important things like ignition components alone was better than...anything I could come up with :p

Last edited: