Engine Knock!

cklynboyz

Building A Beast!
Feb 24, 2012
Brooklyn
I have a 2JZGTE in my MK3 I had been hearing my engine knocking. So I pulled the engine out and apart and found that both thrust washers on the crank shaft broke into pieces. Would anyone know what could of caused this to happen? An how F'd am I can this be fixed?

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
Well bro that's suck as I know how you are feeling this happen to me after I did my first 1jz swap 3 years ago and only was able to drive my car for 3 weeks so I have been told that it could of been cause of my clutch or if when you start the car and have to Push the clutch in but I would like to hear also what causes this.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya what clutch are you running? A stiff pressure plate will pull back on the crank which pulls hard on the thrust Washers and when starting and lack of oil it wears them Down.

As long as nothing else was messed up visually put new ones in and check the clearances.

I bypassed my clutch start switch for this reason and start without touching clutch. I've never left my car in gear ever since I started driving so I never worry about it running away.

cklynboyz

Building A Beast!
Feb 24, 2012
Brooklyn
Yea I am using an ACT Extreme clutch but I have the clutch switch bypassed as well. I'm hoping I can just change the washers & rings & bearings. But I will find out on Monday when I take it to the machine shop. I will update what they tell me. Thx for the info!

cklynboyz

Building A Beast!
Feb 24, 2012
Brooklyn
I found out good news today. Other then having to do some lite Machining on my crank shaft to smooth it out. All is in good shape piston & rods are good. Plus I changed out all the bearing & rings. :)