Engine is Out Spec: making sure HKS

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
I think I am going to use a HKS head gasket for this engine, the shop asked me how much boost I was going to use and recommended a metal one ( I was already going to do a metal one ) Now Does HKS need a 30 RA or less? Lower the smoother of course, what should I do it at for certainty. Also I am going to use arp Head Studs what should those be torqued down to? I need that spec really bad, keep getting different answers. If you have any more suggestions let me know. The engine is going to get done now, they may use my 4000 mile old rods there shot peened so I figure if there good there using them.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
HKS MHG's require a 30 RA or lower spec.
Thickness is determined by how much material is removed from the block and head decks. Simply add both figures in mm to 1.37mm (stock HG thickness compressed) and that is the thickness required to maintain stock compression.

It's really simple for ARP hardware...seriously. Just use the spec sheet that comes with it...I would use moly for lube and use that spec. Anything else ANYONE tells you is BS. We've had this conversation ;)

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
What other MGH will can have a higher Ra so I can put it on my car. I have a rebuilt stock 7m-gte coming in and I want to replace the composite Hg but I want to make sure that the surface is good enough to throw on a MGH? thanks.

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
Most are the same bro, I would suggest just getting it to 30 or less and using the HKS. Than use the 2.0 mm MHG (just make sure thats the distance) if its more thickness than that that is needed HKS does sell thicker ones but i am not sure as to their sizes.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
cometic/titan only need like a 50RA is what i was told...
HKS likes them to be super smooth, 30RA

But either 50 or 30RA shouldnt be hard for a REAL machine shop to get...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There are other differences between the HKS and Cometic gaskets.

Among other things, I've blown up a Cometic. The HKS has been bulletproof - I shattered 2 pistons, burnt another, and the HKS was still fine.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Well the surface was machined and a stock h/g is on the motor when i get it I want to take it off and replace it with a MHG and Arp head bolts or studs but I want to make sure I can do it I am calling the company tomorrow to ask what surface RA they use to deck there blocks, I hope I can do the MHG, I put a Mhg on once didn't know you have to remove the rivets and also I started to bolts down the head gasket and the threads from the head bolt got caught and made the hg go up and damage it.

thanks fro the input guys!