engine help, 98-02 corollas??

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
just bought a '01 corolla about a month ago ran fine looks great paid next to nothing due to a very small trade-in offer.

this morning i started it and it had a much louder 'valve tap' than usual.....it had a quiet valve tap when i got it almost dissapeared once warmed up....i get about 10miles from the house and it misses a few times i put it in neutral to take the load off and it dies. i stop on the side of the highway and check for a belt missing or oil leaking or anything, but she looked just fine. get in and start it up starts right up but it sounds marbles in a jar......

i turn it off and check the dip stick even though i had no oil light[which works] and it is dry.....the car was on a slope but i didn't think it was enough to keep my dipstick dry.

i get a lift to a gas station and get som oil, go back and add some. start it up and it sounds a little better and i decide to move it off the highway.....extreme power loss.....i make it not far off the highway and there is a large thud/banging noise......oil all over the road clouds of smoke

thrown rod?? i didn't even bother to open the hood..... i was sooooo pissed i just didn't care

any help?? i'm not sure what to do with this car...
john

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Sounds like you blew your motor, but they are SUPER easy to replace, especially the automatics. You probably spun a bearing which got steadily worse as you drove on. I've seen it before with these early 1ZZFE engines. Expect $1000 for a good used engine.

HardtopTE72

Sep 10, 2008
Tampa. FL
Yup definitely sounds like you blew the motor. 01 Should be a VVT-i motor so expect to pay a little more money. 1000 sounds about right for a good engine. Go to your local junkyard. Those cars get wrecked all the time. You can probably find one with extremely low miles

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
honestabe;1261537 said:
I really hope this doesn't happen to me. I just bought a 2001 Camry with the 1ZZFE motor too. Although mine has 100,000 miles on it.

2001 Camry's have the 2.2L 5SFE, (can be matted with a 3SGTE head to create a 2.2L "5SGTE") the Corollas' have 1.8L 1ZZ-FE's