Engine/Harness/ECU Identification - PICS.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'm going to get this engine and harness locally. It's a rear sump engine, no TRC so it looks like a supra engine, I'm taking this for sure. The ecu looks like a chaser ECU with a jza70 harness plugged into it.

I need to confirm if I'm right. I want to take the engine with the harness if it's a supra harness. I already put a downpayment on the both of them, going to pick them up this weekend.

From what I researched, I found that,

-Supra harness can plug into the chaser ECU.
-Chaser engine harness only has two plugs that go to the ECU and the other two come from the body harness
-Soarer harnesses/ECU's are 4 row connectors.

I continued to search now to see how the chaser ECU's are programmed to figure whether I should just get the chaser ECU as well that's on there and use it. Now I'm finding that people are saying the soarer and chaser ecu's are swappable. This goes against what I found so far, since the soarer is 4 row, and the chaser isn't.

Now I think that the reason I don't understand the full picture is because there are different generations and there may be different ECU's for the generations. I need to know which ecu's and/or harnesses are interchangeable. Most importantly and the main reason I posted this thread is, is this a jza70 engine wiring harness?

2uj5s9z.jpg

1174lki.jpg

fdr6n6.jpg

28bbmkj.jpg

2rcpz7m.jpg

w8w468.jpg

2qbeqmv.jpg

2vb2c6a.jpg

Thanks.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Thats a JZA70 harness.

weird the ECU doesn't have the flying lead/pig tail. What is the part number on the ECU?

The engine has no IAC valve.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Supra it's a jz supra turbo harness mated to a 1jz-ge ecu?

Mostly I'd like to know for sure if it's a jza70 turbo harness, the supras didn't come 1jzge did they? Doesn't really matter much, I only want to know about the ECU out of curiousity. What car could it have come out of?

Thanks for the responses.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
That's definitely a JZA70 harness, so you have the right harness.

The ECU could have come out of a crown, cresta, or chaser. All of them came with the 1jz-ge as a possible engine.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
JonoTurbo;1329922 said:
That's definitely a JZA70 harness, so you have the right harness.

The ECU could have come out of a crown, cresta, or chaser. All of them came with the 1jz-ge as a possible engine.

Awesome, I wanted to make sure of this.

tsupra;1330000 said:
gimme the part number off that ecu and i'll tell you what it came out of.

I can't see it in any of the pics I have, I don't have access to the ecu right now. The first pics is the best pic of the part number I can get.

Also because the ECU came out of a non-turbo car I don't want to use it, but I was wondering if anyone has any specs on the behaviour on the chaser gte ecu. I know people use the soarer and aristo ecu's I wanted to know what the chaser one is like.

tsupra

Dec 29, 2005
colorado
looks like it's this one for sale in another thread
attachment.php

if i'm reading it right, part number is 89661-30620
that number matches up to an october 91 to august 93 crown, jzs131 or a crown/majesta jzs141. my epc shows that neither of those models came with a 1jzgte engine.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Ok, it's the same one, we're in the same city. That's the engine and harness I'm getting off of him.

Do you know what other ecu's will plug into the jza70 harness? I have a jza70 ecu but I'm wondering what other ecu's will plug right in like this one does, but a turbo ecu. As the supra one isn't so reliable, I'm even reading so with the caps replaced so I'm just opening up some options.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
JZX90 (chaser) and the JZZ30 (soarer) ECU's are identical kind of.
I even have BOTH, and the ecu pinouts are identical.

I have both ecus and just ran my car with both tonight, no clutch yet so just revving. The chaser ecu idled very smooth and hit boost cut at 16-17 psi, hit rev limit (guessing my gauge was going crazy when it hit limit) 6500.
the soarer ecu I thought would be more aggressive and it seemed to be. Rev seemed faster, idle was a little rough but I could not get it to boost over 14psi.
Now this is just revving and idling so I will try and get a clutch in and test 0-60 and so on.
Does any one know the programing differences in the two?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The JZX81 Chaser 1jz turbo ECU will plug into the supra harness. There is some scattered information that the pinouts are slightly different, and some say it works fine. There's no guarantee that the caps in it are any more reliable, the early SC300/400 ECU's are prone to bad caps too, Toyota made the same mistake in several ECU's around that time.

The supra 1jz ecu is fine if you replace the caps before anything happens. They are also sensitive to voltage fluctuations and bad wiring etc, so just keep that in mind as well.

tsupra

Dec 29, 2005
colorado
actually it's the toyota electronic parts catalog. and you have to get hold of the japanese disks to look up jdm only cars. or if you really want you can use this website http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/
though that site won't let you put in a part number to see what car it came on.

tsupra;1331546 said:
actually it's the toyota electronic parts catalog. and you have to get hold of the japanese disks to look up jdm only cars. or if you really want you can use this website http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/
though that site won't let you put in a part number to see what car it came on.

Thanks for the info. Man, i didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day :)

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Hmmm.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1991_TOYOTA_CROWN_JZS131-AEPQF_8404.7.html?hl=89661

The rear sump thing with that body plug setup is weird. That's either the wrong ecu (importers sometimes to this) or it was swapped and they changed the cover. There's no way a gte would run right with a GE computer. GE has distributor! If you open the ecu and there's 6 IGT channels the n you know something's fishy with the cover.

This is interesting to me. Please post more pics when you get it apart.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
aphxero;1331654 said:
Hmmm.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1991_TOYOTA_CROWN_JZS131-AEPQF_8404.7.html?hl=89661

The rear sump thing with that body plug setup is weird. That's either the wrong ecu (importers sometimes to this) or it was swapped and they changed the cover. There's no way a gte would run right with a GE computer. GE has distributor! If you open the ecu and there's 6 IGT channels the n you know something's fishy with the cover.

This is interesting to me. Please post more pics when you get it apart.

Hope it helps.

Do you agree it's a jza70 harness though? I can ask him to open it up and post pics.