Engine fron JDMNEWYORK.com YAY or NAY?

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Ive been looking around for a 7mgte. I found one from JDMNEWYORK.com asking $1200 w/approx. 50k-60k miles. What Im wondering, is the company a good company and is 60k and good number to work with. Would the headgasket be good enough for retorque. Im looking for a healthy motor for 350rwhp build until I have the money to do a higher hp build. I don't have the money for a rebuild just yet. The folks are tired of the car sitting and I don't think theyre willing to wait any longer for a rebuild. If I had a choice the engine would be on a engine stand for months as long as Id know its getting the right treatment. Any suggestions on companies?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
you don't buy a used engine and just stick upgrades on it..
how can we know what the head or anything else will be like? we don't what what kind of abuse the engine has been through
I recomend save your money by rebuilding the one you have sitting there not buying a new motor and just sticking upgrades on hoping it's ok

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Im with Bryan on this one. You don't wanna buy a used motor and plan to make anymore power then stock. You never know what kind of issues could b hidden inside, how the engine was maintained, treated, ect. Your just going to b wasting money in my opinion..

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
I feel yeah there. Thing is I have a shell with no motor as it is. I may just look around and find a salvage for cheap and rebuild it and just tell the folks to deal with it. Dont know what to do.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Ill stick with the 7m. Have a joke with a lot of my friends, they drive hondas. "Atleast my first mod isn't an engine swap...." Lol. That's not honestly my reason, just think its funny. On a serious note I love the torque of the 7m and the sound of that baby on some high revs is unsurpassed. If its maintained the right ways, it will run forever.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tysan;1941296 said:
Ive been really contemplating on saving for a 1j or 2j and just be patient.
unless you want this car to be more of a money put than it already is then feel free to get one

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
you can buy the 7m from an importer just to get your car running, but I wouldn't expect to make any real hp without taking apart the motor and seeing what I have to work with and rebuilding the head properly so I don't need to worry about doing it all over again once I dump 4-5 grand into performance parts.

PaulDoug

Mar 31, 2013
Clearwater Florida
I purchased a JDM last year, a 7MGE, I check the head torque and it was good. Does it have a new head gasket on it? I don't know, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it either., I just wanted a stock good running engine and I am really happy with it. I agree with BryanDyer in that you do not buy a used engine and start adding performance goodies on op of it, the 7MGE & MGTE engine had a serious factory flaw that was not corrected by a recall. You go and start slapping all those high performance add on to that stock JDM and you'll be lucky to 15,000 miles of use from it. It would be wise to do a total rebuild on your engine, it will cost about $1000 more than just getting a JDM, but you will know what you have and what you have will be good.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Stocking up some the the supporting pieces little by little that's all. My girls buying the motor. Its up to me to find the support. Im lucky to have a girl that's into the same thing as me.