engine for my supra

90hardtop

Apr 2, 2010
cedar rapids, ia
i have a 90 n/a hardtop supra. i want to swap to a turbo engine (7mgte, 1jz, 2jz)but im unsure what one to use and have lots of questions.

1-which engine is cheapest to build but very reliable?
2-will i need to change motor mounts, trans mount, drive shaft?
3-which is easiest to swap? im also wondering about all of the under hood connections? (vacume line, electrical, gas lines, various hoses)

really any help or words of advise would be awsome

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
The 7mgte would be the easiest since you can pull all the electronics out of a turbo car and also it fits right in. A 1jz would be cheap but parts for them I hear are tough to find. 2jz is probably the most expensive I would say. IDK Im personally trying to save up for a 1jz tt auto.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
1. 7MGTE
2. 7MGTE
3. 7MGTE

^^^^ Easiest to swap since it already came in the car from the factory here in the U.S. Also parts are widely available and EZ to get a hold of here too.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
92nsx;1544052 said:
1. 7MGTE
2. 7MGTE
3. 7MGTE

^^^^ Easiest to swap since it already came in the car from the factory here in the U.S. Also parts are widely available and EZ to get a hold of here too.

ditto, if u want EZ purchase a rebuilt bottom end w/head n install with harness & ecu n lil things. Stay away from 1j or 2j if u want cheap. Cheap they are not. It is cheaper for you to purchase a car with it already then to swap it.

90hardtop

Apr 2, 2010
cedar rapids, ia
i dont really know much about the 5m. still inline 6? ill have to see, theres a guy a few miles away that has a dismantled 7mgte with a 88 targa. all for $400