Engine damage during shipping. Lots of pics.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Well as most of you know, I purchased Stevevangs $10000 engine. I sent him my wire harness for him to wire into the engine. He propped the engine up on a skid and secured it with straps. Then he placed several loose items I bought from him on the top of the engine, including a Zeitronix wb setup with LCD screen. After, he plastic wrapped the whole thing up from top to bottom.

Here are pics of the engine prior to shipment. Unfortunetly, Steve didn't take any pictures of the engine after he plastic wrapped it.

p494895_1.jpg

p494895_2.jpg

p494895_3.jpg

p494895_4.jpg

p494895_5.jpg

p494895_6.jpg

p494895_7.jpg

p494895_8.jpg

Upon receiving the engine I noticed that it had been placed on it side for some reason. A plug on the harness was broken as well as a sensor shattered. I have no idea what the plug goes to, but I'm pretty sure that it was the knock sensor that was damaged. The wierd thing is, all the damage was on the side that the engine wasn't laying on. Even if it did fall on the opposite side and was rolled over (for whatever reason), I still can't figure how that would have damaged the sensor, seeing on how it would have been protected by the intake manifold. On top of that, the plastic was pulled up on the bottom, and was pulled open on the top. Everything was accounted for...well almost. The Zeitronix LCD display was missing. My guess is that it fell out in one of the trucks.

Here are pics I took when the engine was delivered

p494895_9.jpg

p494895_10.jpg

p494895_11.jpg

Here is the damaged harness and sensor. In both pics you can see bits of green plastic everywhere from where they shattered the sensor.

p494895_12.jpg

p494895_13.jpg

I'm pretty aggravated about the whole thing. However, I guess it could have been worse.

I chose to ship the engine through Uni-shippers and they used RL Carriers to ship it. I called around today to have them check the trucks for the LCD Screen, hoping that it's just laying around in one of them. However, it was transported between 3 trucks meaning there's a good chance it's outside somewhere.

When I mentioned all this to the driver, he sorta verbally attacked me saying that the engine should have been shipped on blocks with a crate around it. He then said if I didn't want it, he'd take it back. So obviously I signed for it before they were able to damage it more.

Today RL carriers told me I could make a claim or talk to Uni-Shippers and have them file one. Which I plan on doing. I just don't know the amount for the claim. As far as I can tell, the damage was minimal. A harness plug, a sensor, and a Zeitronix LCD Screen. I know the LCD's run $200, but what price do I put on a plug and sensor? And how would I go about replacing the plug?

I don't even know who to blame. Looking at how the engine was strapped, I could see it falling over. Not easily, but I could see it happening. I still don't see how that sensor got damaged unless they tipped the engine over in order to stack shit on it. Which would really piss me off if that's indeed the case.

Let me know what you guys think.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
You can't get a new plug from toyota. I'd go after a junker supra. if you can ID the plug, I have access to a harness that shorted out, (in my parts car) but the plugs are still fine, I can grab that specific one for you and toss it in the mail. I was planning on stripping all of the wiring out of it for replacements down the road.

sensor, you should be able to get anywhere, shouldn't be too expensive.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
plain and simple one of the shippers saw your lcd sreen and riped it out thats why its gone. The company might be a respectable company but that doesnt mean that the drivers are. they have alot of drivers im sure and dont have time to do full checks on all of them.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You spent $10,000?
IMHO, a $10k engine should be at least fairly pleasing to the eye and come with a good FFI and Tubular Exhaust Manifold...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Ok people. This engine was Steve's big build. Everything that he could do to it was done. Forged pistons, rods, reworked oil system, ported head, reworked cams, larger valves. Everything. Plus, the engine has only seen as few thousand miles. Just miles to be broken in. I've seen a company that doesn't do nearly this much, just rebuilds the engine, drops it in a car and runs it be broken in, and then ships it to you for $8000.

Steve claims to have over $6000 in the block, and over $3000 in the head porting work. He claims this engine will hold 1000hp with supporting mods. BTW, I only paid $4000. But the replacement value would be $10000.

Here are some pics of the head:

p494936_1.jpg

p494936_2.jpg

Pics of engine installed in his car

p494936_3.jpg

p494936_4.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
As for the shipping reciept. Yes, it seems I signed my life away, but I really didn't have a choice in the matter seeing how I'm in the middle of a move and this engine was being stored at a friends garage. Which was not the easiest thing for me to setup.

Here the shipping reciept I signed:

p494937_1.jpg

As far as the engine itself, it doesn't appear to be damaged. These things are pretty tough. Here are pics I took after I cut off the plastic and stood it up.

p494937_2.jpg

p494937_3.jpg

p494937_4.jpg

p494937_5.jpg

Unishippers said I would need to send them a bill of sale and a breakdown of what I'm asking for.

Well everyone, what am I asking for? What is the replacement value of the damage?

Oh and btw, the Turbo is mine. It's one of the older SupraSport Stage 3 turbo's with a 60-1 in it. I sent it to Steve to have it primed and installed. I know it's a baby for this engine, but I just want to start small. The main thing I'm concerned about is drivability and I want really quick spool. I plan on upgrading in the near future. So the $4000 for the engine I paid was without turbo.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
um, if the plug on the harness is busted, get the fuckers for an entire new engine harness from toyota. thats the only way fix what they broke without splicing(just splice the new one in after you get paid but they should foot the bill for it to be replaced) then also get them for the display and the new knock sensor from toyota, which is rather exspensive btw.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
claim a new wiring harness because "The plug is not replacable from toyota, The whole wiring harness has to be replaced" send quotes for a new wiring harness and knock sensor, and get a retail price on the lcd. Fax all of those and tell them you are willing to settle for less than the whole of the cost in order to close the dispute. Seem like you are willing to work with them.

Throw the highball and expect lowball. If you start low theyll probably jew you lower. Dont get pushy, maintain that you are the victim in the situation and not the aggressor... Good luck. Keep us updated so we know who to use to ship our goodies.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Also, if someone can find me links with the prices to the LCD, an OEM Wire Harness, and that sensor so I can email it to Unishippers it would be much appreciated.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
the harness and knock sensor are dealer items. get a printout from the dealer.. as for the display, refere them to any of the sites that sell it. like suprastore.com, or hpf, etc...

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
hey to disagree with the post above... actually you can de-pin the broken plug, and re insert the pins into the replacement. no splicing needed. done it a bunch of times. you just have to have the right tool.

i've got you on the plug man, no charge, just ID it for me, and i'll pop it in the mail. if you get a better pic of what end of the harness it's on, like the plugs around it on that arm, that'll probably be the easiest way.