Engine cutting out at 4000 rpm!

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
I just put an engine in my 87 supra and its driveable now. It runs and idles fine below 4000 rpm. As soon as i drive it and git on it around 4000 it falls on its face and starts backfiring! The cat is not cloged and the spedo cable is borken and does not work if that helps at all. It seems a little week on power with a 4 angle valve job and a turbo head. The only code i have is a code 42. Can anyone help me!:1zhelp:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Spade;1284784 said:
I just put an engine in my 87 supra and its driveable now. It runs and idles fine below 4000 rpm. As soon as i drive it and git on it around 4000 it falls on its face and starts backfiring! The cat is not cloged and the spedo cable is borken and does not work if that helps at all. It seems a little week on power with a 4 angle valve job and a turbo head. The only code i have is a code 42. Can anyone help me!:1zhelp:

Check your timing.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Strangely I remember jetjock saying something about the speedo having something to do with the speed...can't remember. I have yet to learn about this speed sensor...maybe he will chime in? Not sure if it affects anything off idle.

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
dumbo;1285107 said:
Deffinetly. For the record the only difference between the GE/GTE head is the intake cam. What cam are you running?

I am running the gte head with the stock turbo cams in it. It Idles and revs fine but no power. It sucks! I did i auto to manual swap out of an 86.5 into a 88 automatic car. Took wiring out and ecu and bolted right up to the 88 chassis. Everything works but my speedo.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Spade;1285120 said:
I am running the gte head with the stock turbo cams in it. It Idles and revs fine but no power. It sucks! I did i auto to manual swap out of an 86.5 into a 88 automatic car. Took wiring out and ecu and bolted right up to the 88 chassis. Everything works but my speedo.

So it was NA->NA correct, maybe some details.

Spade;1285121 said:
I will check my timing again. Just for info i jumped the connector before i set the timing.

Good work, also AJs NA88 might mean valve timing too, who did the headÉ

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
Yea its a na-na Swap into a automotic car. 5 speed swap! Ribuilt 86.5 7mge with a turbo head and 3 angle valve job. paul at napa in asheville did my head work. Stock car pretty much as everything else goes. The gas tank was a F***ing mess. gelled gas and rusted fuel pump. Installed new pump and filter before engine was started for first time. pump got cloged yesterday at the pump sock. cleaned tank again and new sock instaled. starts and runs fine until around 4000. then it just kills it to push it any further!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
dumbo;1285127 said:
Good work, also AJs NA88 might mean valve timing too, who did the headÉ

Yes I meant all of it :) If the timing belt was put on and you didn't turn it a couple of revolutions and check your marks again they could be off.

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
AJ'S 88NA;1285449 said:
Yes I meant all of it :) If the timing belt was put on and you didn't turn it a couple of revolutions and check your marks again they could be off.

I will check all of my timing including cam timing and see what i got tonight. ill keep you posted. Thanks both of you for helping me.

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
I was also thinking about it might be the tps mabe? I can not git it within spec. it revs higher aroung 5500 adjusting it but it still does it just not as bad.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Spade;1286273 said:
I was also thinking about it might be the tps mabe? I can not git it within spec. it revs higher aroung 5500 adjusting it but it still does it just not as bad.
Yep, if you can't get it within specs then change it. I'd check the timing too. (all of it) :)

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
Checked all of my timing. Cam timing is right on and so is ignition timing. Going to try to git a tps real soon ill let you know.

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
Found out that it was the fuel filter and the fuel pump sock was cloged up. cleaned sock and replaces filter on chassis, runs like a top and good fuel pressure through out rpm. SWEET:beer: