Engine cuts out with throttle

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Hey there I've got a problem, 87 turbo 7mgte, my car had been driving good for awhile no engine lights good boost everything good for the moment except it had this weird thing where if i revved the engine fast or hit the throttle fast past 3k rpms when i let of the throttle my cars rpms would drop to zero cut off then cut itself back on. Didnt bug me too much cause I never really dog the car. well about a month ago im driving downtown and I decided to Hit the throttle hard engine sounded good boost kicked in then all off a sudden my car just cut off, Now when i turn it on it will idle fine. if i hit the throttle at all the car cuts off and cuts itself back on. if i repeatedly tap the throttle instead of push it down it will rev up then i left off the gas it cuts off. I thought my fuel pump had gone out so i pulled the tank replaced the pumpp and the filter and its still doing the same thing. I unplugged my tps and it does the same thing plugged my tps back up and still the same. Any ideas? TPS maybe? Or could i have blown my turbo?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you checked to see if you have any stored codes? Just because the light is not on doesn't mean there not there.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
My battery has been disconnected since this has happend so all the codes are reset. and the light hasnt come on. Last time it was on though it was throwing two codes, knock sensor code and TPS code. I fixed the knock sensors and the engine light went off

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Okay so i replaced the TPS sensor, It idles fine. I hit the throttle it does pretty good but if i left of the throttle it drops down to like 100 rpms and starts shaking then kick starts itself back to idle then idles fine. Could this be my IACV? I know if i take this thing to a shop they will butt rape me but I'm getting tired of messing with it :(

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I had a similar problem with my RHD when I was stationed in Germany. As strange as it is to believe i had an major exhaust leak which was causing the idle drop after ANY throttle. I had it welded and I never had the problem again. So it might sound dumb, but check the exhaust to make sure there are no leaks at all. Mine was between the turbo elbow and the downpipe. That flange went bad and left a small gap. Just something else to check on. Might be that simple instead of replacing sensors and whatnot.