Engine bay wire tuck

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
Before anyone says it yes I have searched multiple times on here but I still can't seem to find out why everyone just hides the wires in the fender wells rather than completely removing the stuff they don't need. So those of you that have done it is it just because it's easier or is there another reason? I'm currently in the process of doing a wire tuck myself and wanting to remove everything extra, a/c, cruise, tems, pps, fuel relay and resistor, and whatever else I'm not using for my 1jz swap. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I will post pics of my progress when I get gome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
I wanted to keep the AC but the system has been open for almost 6 years so I'm sure the whole system is trash at this point and is gonna need replaced. As far as the rest the wiring is there but that's it. The cruise, tems, and pps all I have is the wiring all the rest of the components are gone and I'm in the process of doing the fuel pump mod to get rid of the fuel relay/resistor.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
@FernandoDLT what did you do for brake lines when you deleted the abs? Make you own or buy them. And can you reuse the master cylinder and pro portioning valve?

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
I don't know if I'm gonna delete it for sure but it wasn't working before I pulled the engine. It depends on what's wrong with it I may just fix it. But the engine bay does look a lot cleaner without it

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I'd never consider removing my ac being in Texas haha. Im sure thats not a big in SoCal though!

I just used the non abs brakes lines so it looks like factory. The proportioning valve is the same. I recently heard the master cylinders from non abs and abs cars are different. But I didn't hear that when I did my conversion and the stock abs master worked fine for me. You may research that.

ABS systems from the 80's weren't as great as they are today. I daily drove mine without abs for 2 years in all weather. Your choice

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
I actually not in SoCal anymore I'm in Missouri. It's been so long since I've been on here though I forgot how to update it lol. If my AC actually worked I would keep it but with it having been open for so long replacing literally every component would probably be required and idk if I really need AC that bad.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
7d5cbfaf027bb6ce14589090c11043df.jpg
2b12d8f5fbac66306b134761c20dfcda.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1 having the a/c system open does not make it trash. just needs to be flushed.

2. doing the 12v mod does not get rid of the fuel pump relay unless you remove it and run all new wiring for the fuel pump all the way back to the pump and add in a new relay.

For me unless its a race car i usually do not like to hack up the car but completely removing all the wires. Its a very long process and sometimes the wires are tied into other wires. easier to just pull them into the fender wells zip tie them in a small bundle and into place. Not much weight to be lose unless you re did the entire body harness and even then your talking about maybe losing 20-30lbs. for a street car not really necessary especially if you for what ever reason end wanting that feature that you removed and now how to replace everything you took out.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
hvyman;2071125 said:
For me unless its a race car i usually do not like to hack up the car but completely removing all the wires. Its a very long process and sometimes the wires are tied into other wires. easier to just pull them into the fender wells zip tie them in a small bundle and into place. Not much weight to be lose unless you re did the entire body harness and even then your talking about maybe losing 20-30lbs. for a street car not really necessary especially if you for what ever reason end wanting that feature that you removed and now how to replace everything you took out.

Yep. I still have the harness intact, just rerouted, hidden, and extended in some areas.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
hvyman;2071125 said:
1 having the a/c system open does not make it trash. just needs to be flushed.

2. doing the 12v mod does not get rid of the fuel pump relay unless you remove it and run all new wiring for the fuel pump all the way back to the pump and add in a new relay.

Ok hvyman let me ask you this. How would you go about flushing the system and at what point would you say it is just not worth it to fix it? I know I will definitely have to replace the dryer is there anything else you would recommend before trying to flush it?

Also my understanding of the fuel pump mod was to remove the relay/resistor and use the jumper there then run a relay at the tank with the old power wire as the trigger. Is there another way?

I agree with this completely and I was only considering it because I thought it would end up looking better, but this kinda feedback is why I made the post.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can search here as it been posted a bunch of times. Ive never had to do it myself. Basically you insert fluid and then blow it out. You Can take off the lines seperatly and clean them and then just flush the condenser and the evaporator.

You could do it that way if you wanted or just not hook up the wire for the resistor so the stock fuel pump circuit works as normal with 12v. Thats what the 12v mod is.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
So after cleaning and running my vacuum pump on the AC system I've found there is multiple holes in the condenser as well as one in the low side line from the txv to the condenser. So I've decide to remove all of the a/c system except the evaporator. I've also made some progress on the wire tuck. But I'm now waiting on some braided wire sleeve to make it look better and after what hvyman said j decided not to remove all the extra wire but just tuck it away inside the fenders and it's actually starting to look nice. So thank you hvyman for stopping me it would have been a lot more work for no real gains