Engine bay touch up Help

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'm looking to clean up my engine bay, But I have big nasty scratches That I would like to get rid of before I drop My engine back in. anyone have any tips to give? What works, what doesn't. Let my know thanks.

Couple of pics, the passengers side is the worst.
p1523457_1.jpg

p1523457_2.jpg

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I've heard That you can get Some paint store to put the paint of your choice in a spray can. I was thinking of Getting some and primer and paint The sections that need it. Then go back with a wet sand. But I'm no pro and don't want to make a bigger mess then there already is. Ive heard that the touch up paint doesn't look so good. But that would be a whole lot easier.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Touch up will look way better than random rattle can'd areas....I've seen the rattle can engine bays and I'm perfectly happy with my scratched engine bay lol...

Do what you wish but I'd have some hot chick fill those scratches with touch up like she was painting her nails...can guarentee a good finish then;-)

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
S.A. supra;1523487 said:
I've heard That you can get Some paint store to put the paint of your choice in a spray can. I was thinking of Getting some and primer and paint The sections that need it. Then go back with a wet sand. But I'm no pro and don't want to make a bigger mess then there already is. Ive heard that the touch up paint doesn't look so good. But that would be a whole lot easier.

I touched up the 92. From more than a few feet can't tell. Close inspection and you can find it. Not a bad way to go.

1. Determine how "nice" you want your engine bay to look? Show quality, Goto a few get togethers and pop the hood?
If show quality then touch up won't get it. If the latter is what your shooting for their are guys that most of the dealerships use for minor fender touchups. They usually have a large assortment of colors and will be able to get this looking very good.

I haven't done it yet buy my plan is to find a airbrush and touch up a few on the 89. Paint is bought already just been too damn cold lately.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Forgot to add. While you have it out I would detail it (which looks like your in the process of, and give it a couple of coats of wax) The wax makes cleaning up months down the road easier.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
OK I'll just go with the touch up paint for now. Then go from there. I don't need show quality. It's just that my car is in very good condition, And I want to do what ever I can to keep it looking nice.

jugodegolf;1523542 said:
Forgot to add. While you have it out I would detail it (which looks like your in the process of, and give it a couple of coats of wax) The wax makes cleaning up months down the road easier.

Thanks for the tip. All of your cars look great.

I just used some 3m cutting compound to bring my paint back to life. I plan on doing the same to the engine bay. I just never thought about waxing it. But waxing it does make a lot of sense.

Any other tips? I just cleaned the inside of the car on Sunday and I must say It looks pretty much like it did when it rolled out the factory. It has two problem dirty floor mats and peeling tems buttons. I already ordered mats from Annie, but what to do with the tems buttons? spray them?

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
S.A. supra;1523689 said:
OK I'll just go with the touch up paint for now. Then go from there. I don't need show quality. It's just that my car is in very good condition, And I want to do what ever I can to keep it looking nice.

I just used some 3m cutting compound to bring my paint back to life. I plan on doing the same to the engine bay. I just never thought about waxing it. But waxing it does make a lot of sense.

Any other tips? I just cleaned the inside of the car on Sunday and I must say It looks pretty much like it did when it rolled out the factory. It has two problem dirty floor mats and peeling tems buttons. I already ordered mats from Annie, but what to do with the tems buttons? spray them?

Either use your prefered method of removing the paint so to say and respray it whatever color you wanted, or do what i did and make them into switches instead of buttons, that way they dont wear out and looks much cooler =P

a10secstreetcar

F-Con V Pro FTW!
Feb 7, 2009
FLORIDA
Very easy.. Tape everything off, Sand it down and respray. You can have it done in less tha 5 hours.

Would be worth it, and it's cheap to do.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
S.A. supra;1523689 said:

Thanks. Anne is cool. I ordered a new set of tems. Wax is good.
p1523813_1.jpg

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Failure14;1523762 said:
Either use your prefered method of removing the paint so to say and respray it whatever color you wanted, or do what i did and make them into switches instead of buttons, that way they dont wear out and looks much cooler =P

Yeah, I want to keep the interior stock. I'm gonna go as far as putting all my gauges in the glove box. To keep the clean stock look.

a10secstreetcar;1523784 said:
Very easy.. Tape everything off, Sand it down and respray. You can have it done in less tha 5 hours.

Would be worth it, and it's cheap to do.

Did you do your engine bay?

jugodegolf;1523813 said:
Thanks. Anne is cool. I ordered a new set of tems. Wax is good.
p1524266_1.jpg

Yeah, I hate you and your nice cars. :icon_mad: You going down to TX2K10? I'd like to see one of them up close.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Do the respray, it's worth it. I put $700 into doing the bay (including all of the blacks), straightening the radiator support, doing the under side of the hood, and installing a rear quarter glass. that cost also covered him installing my aftermarket bumper and Bomex sides once the motor was installed.

Oh, and BTW, George (jugo) now owns that car too!

p1524329_1.jpg

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
ForcedTorque;1524329 said:
Do the respray, it's worth it. I put $700 into doing the bay (including all of the blacks), straightening the radiator support, doing the under side of the hood, and installing a rear quarter glass. that cost also covered him installing my aftermarket bumper and Bomex sides once the motor was installed.

Oh, and BTW, George (jugo) now owns that car too!

p1524947_1.jpg
Yeah, Looks damn nice. I'm gonna end up doing that in a year or two. After I build my 7m monster I plan on doing a full paint job.

jugodegolf;1524332 said:
Scott keep in mind he's not wanting show quality and his bay already looks very clean. I'm for touchup and a writeup of the process.
I'll post pics when I do the touch up. If not here then on my build thread. Just ordered the touch up and the arousal can, Just in case I get brave.

Last edited:

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Rajunz;1527401 said:
It looks like it's mainly on the shock towers, however those are deep scratches. It would be hard to touch them up, they will still be very noticable. I would mask them off around the base of the shock towers, sand them smooth and re spray them. You can find that Toyota red in touch up cans at the auto parts.

Here's a good video.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

Toyota 3E5
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DPL0/8801560.oap?pt=N1161&ppt=C0253

Thanks, Again. seems like you're always helping me out.

jugodegolf;1527409 said:
Lance is the man! Curious if you reshot your bay or just cleaned it up?

For those that don't know Rajunz he has one of my favorite engine bays.

Oh yeah, more bling then your polished MKIV rims. First saw it on the Austin cruise video from 07. Didn't get to see it in person this year.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks George. I just cleaned mine up, and waxed it all. In hind sight I wish I would have re-sprayed the entire bay to where it had the same gloss as the exterior.

I built these panels a few years ago to hide everything. Since this picture I rolled beads in them to match the fan shroud, but they're just sitting in the corner of the garage at the moment unfinished. There's also one that goes across the back of the engine and they all fasten together with 1/4 turn Dzus buttons. The plan was to paint them red to match the exterior, where only the top of the engine would be exposed. Maybe I'll finish them one day, along with my hood. I got the idea from this Cuda I saw on the Power Tour.
p1527984_1.jpg

p1527984_2.jpg

p1527984_3.jpg