ems opinions for ~750rwhp

quicksupra

Apr 3, 2011
minnesota
I've been reading on here for a while and thought I'd just post myself. I'm looking for advice on which EMS to go with for my project. I have an mk3 that I'm dropping a JDM 2jzgte running E85 and undecided turbo (probably ~67mm). I'm hoping for around 750rwhp. The car is not my daily driver, but I do drive it around town alot.

I want an EMS that I can use stock ignition components or low cost alternatives, low impedence injectors, and can give me some room to grow in the next couple years. I've been torn primarily between the AEM and ProEFI... the ProEFI's flexfuel and vfe-based maps seem really cool, but I don't really like being stuck with only a couple tuners. The flexfuel thing is really cool, but I will be on E85 100% of the time, so I'm not sure it's really necessary.

I like the AEMs widespread adoption and ease of finding a tuner, but feel that its almost the same price and lacks those two big features. I also read some great things about the VIPEC, but haven't heard of many people using it. I don't really know much about any other options so I'm hoping you can help. Cost is a concern, but I'd like to make the right choice the first time.

Thanks ahead of time!!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've said this before... buy the EMS you can get support for. If you have a local tuner that does good work, buy what they like working with that has the features you need.

Nothing sucks more than trying to get a tuner to travel to your location, or shipping your vehicle to another state for tuning.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
MoTeC would be number one choice, but, stay away from AEM. I know many that have blown engines because of that pos stand alone. Go with either the Hal-tech or a V-iPec which is what Dave runs. :)

With 750 hp, generally you have lots of money put in to the car at this point and the ECU is the most important part in keeping the car stable and running good.

Duane

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
upgradedsupra;1695428 said:
MoTeC would be number one choice, but, stay away from AEM. I know many that have blown engines because of that pos stand alone. Go with either the Hal-tech or a V-iPec which is what Dave runs. :)

With 750 hp, generally you have lots of money put in to the car at this point and the ECU is the most important part in keeping the car stable and running good.

Duane

What's wrong with the AEM? I just want to know because I was really looking into getting one

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
upgradedsupra;1695428 said:

Duane

I ran an AEM in my 7M, we run an AEM in my uncles supra, My friend runs an AEM in his 1100rwhp (through an auto) 2jz, and we have a damn good AEM tuner in minnesota.

quicksupra

Apr 3, 2011
minnesota
Wow! Thanks for the replies so far!

ViPEC scares me a bit because it doesn't seem that many people run it. I know it's Ray Hall's product and he has a long reputation and I was looking at the software update release notes and it seems like he's continuously adding new stuff. But I wonder if there is enough people running it on our cars to tune it right. Plus, I don't know anyone in the Midwest that advertises themselves as tuners for it.

That's the biggest strength of the AEM to me... it was so well adopted that finding a tuner or getting tuning recommendations is easy. But the actual device seems to be blamed for a lot of problems that have led to blown engines.

ProEFI is being touted as the bee's knees, but tuning info seems limited. I am in Chicago a lot so having Sound Performance tune it wouldn't be the biggest deal, but reliance on a single tuner is a little scary.

Hmmm.........

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, as for the Vipec, I'm running one - 2J single, 568 rwhp on pump with water / meth injection, daily driver for well over a year now. It's been awesome, I get better fuel mileage than I did on my stock 7M.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
supradjza80;1783181 said:
^^ grim how did you tune the fuel maps on your Vi-Pec? Did you use the smart tuner they have built into the software?
I took it to Bill at the Independent Speed Shop and told him to make it right. I could probably have done it myself, but when there is such a good tuner easily available, why take the risk? It's not like the cost of the tuning is even a drop in the bucket when compared to the rest of the parts and work.