Emergency brake light stays on... usually

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Recently my emergency brake light has usually been staying on when I put down the e-brake. I've tried raising and lowering it repeatedly with little to no success. However, it will sometimes go off after driving for a while.

I figure something is sticking around the e-brake. I took off the e-brake cover but I don't know what to look for. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

This wouldn't be very annoying except that cruise control won't set unless it thinks the e-brake is down.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Had the same problem... Needed brakes. there's a sensor in the reservoir to tell you it's low, emits the same wanring brake light.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
or the little button on the e-brake is broken, or sticking. (mine was broken- it's mounted with two small screws, and one broke off, allowing the switch to flip down, thus not be depressed by the e-brake handle when it went back to it's lowered position)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Mine just started doing this when it got cold. But, doesnt do it all the time..sometimes when i drive it stays off..sometimes it will just come on when im driving and not even hitting the brakes. I need to do a complete brake service anyways, my fluid looks like dirty ass oil.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I took a closer look at the e-brake just now. Looks like it is hitting the button just fine when it goes down.

I checked the brake fluid level, it is right on the MIN line (cold). I assume I want it close to the MAX line? Do brake pads affect the fluid level? How do I check my brake pads? (I'll probably just look it up in my TSRM, but any hints/tips are appreciated :)) I don't have any leaks as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your help guys!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
As the pads get low, more fluid leaves the reservoir and into the caliper to push the pads against the rotor.
Take your wheels off... look through the hole in the top of the caliper and see how low the pads are.
If they are low, replace them, good time to do rotors too as those are probably worn. flush the brake fluid, bleed, and you're good.
If you've got plenty of pad life left, but brake fluid is low... you could have a leak, follow the lines back to the master cylinder looking for brake fluid.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
happens when it cold because break fluid shrinks and expands depending upon the temp...

add a bit like everyone has said (after checking for leaks first)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Add some even if you haven't checked for leaks yet, etc. You don't want to run out of fluid in the master cylinder if you do have a leak. You can always check for leaks with the reservoir full of fluid ;).

Jeff