emanage vs. map ecu vs. s-afcII

emanage vs. map ecu vs. s-afc-II

• Total voters

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
this is just a poll to see what everyone if using and what they thinks about each product and how it is better or worse in comparision to the other.since the old site was lost i think this is one f the threads we need to get back since there are more and more new guys (at least from what i have seen) on the forum latley.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Stay tuned [no pun intended]...
There is a new e-manage coming out.. a Pro version of sorts, that I believe is supposed to allow for more controlss and a much wider range of adjustments.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
I know u did not include my setup but i like it, i currently run a hks vpc with a 550cc chip, in combination with the hks gcc. and i really like the setup, it removes the maf, and gives u some tuning ability and on top of that the gcc just plugs right in to the vpc harness.

jorge :icon_mrgr

evilone

Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
88turboma71 said:
I know u did not include my setup but i like it, i currently run a hks vpc with a 550cc chip, in combination with the hks gcc. and i really like the setup, it removes the maf, and gives u some tuning ability and on top of that the gcc just plugs right in to the vpc harness.

jorge :icon_mrgr

ya sorry about that 88turbo.i completley forgot about that hks stuff since i didnt think alot of people were running it.i was looking for the post option but missed it somehow when i made the thread.i am an emanage guy myself but have heard some good things about the map ecu also but i have no experiance with it.

oldschool85

1fstmk2
Mar 30, 2005
Denver, PA
all that hks stuff is pretty much long gone. every now and then you can still find it from members at sf.com but that technology is old but still works.

I have the safc and to me it will fit my budget and power goals. I thought about the emanage but realized its pretty hard to tune deal with and it doesnt get rid of the afm. Then I also thought about the map ecu from phr. Its quite expensive but it really gets the job done, but as everyone puts it "at that price you might as well go standalone" and i would totally agree. If you do go this route its fairly easy tuning and you can remove the afm. Just download the software and see for yourself.

I believe the safc and maft is the best low cost solution for a pretty sick setup. Maft lets you get rid of afm and also lets you run anywhere from 440-1000cc injectors and will compensate for the large injectors. It will also let you run open atmosphere BOV, and has tuning dip switches like the older safc. In conjuntion to the safc you can use the safc to tune out the little imperfections in the af.

charlie

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I have a SAFC. It seems to do a good job and is a great value for the cost.

I am also very interested in the new E-man that is coming out shortly.

Ultimately, I would like to go AEM, but that certainly is not in the budget this year.

Dan

supradrifter

JDM TYTE Dorifto spec!!
Mar 30, 2005
Spotsylvania, VA.
last i checked you CAN use the emanage and remove the AFM, you just buy the optional pressure sensor and harness, and that is it. i hear it also gives you a broader range of tuning when you use the pressure sensor. correct me if im wrong, though. also, anyone know how much the "pro" version is going to cost in compairison to the reg. one?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
here is what the s-afc can do.. this was on my old turbo. i know have an SP turbo

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
Although not installed yet, I bought the Map ECU. The benefits that attracted me to it was the complete control over the fuel at any RPM and throttle position, removal of AFM and it can be used with any size injector.

Installing it will be fairly straight forward and easy for me; however, finding someone that will be able to tune it may be a challenge.

89jdmsupra

Mar 30, 2005
NYC
drunk_medic said:
Stay tuned [no pun intended]...
There is a new e-manage coming out.. a Pro version of sorts, that I believe is supposed to allow for more controlss and a much wider range of adjustments.

WHere to find some info on this new version of the e-manage

G

gotboost$

How do you use the afcII to tune you're engine? Just trial and error on when to cut and boost injector duty???

help???

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
supradrifter said:
last i checked you CAN use the emanage and remove the AFM, you just buy the optional pressure sensor and harness, and that is it. i hear it also gives you a broader range of tuning when you use the pressure sensor. correct me if im wrong, though. also, anyone know how much the "pro" version is going to cost in compairison to the reg. one?
nope sorry, you can't completely dump the AFM with the eManage. there is an optional pressure sensor available, and as you said, it allows for better tuning. but the eManage cannot translate the voltage signal from the pressure sensor to a karman-vortex frequency which is needed by the stock ECU.
however, I've read some time ago that some guy in japan can set up the eManage in a way to allow for dumping the AFM, but apparently he charges $1000 for it :squint:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
i'm not reading the replies, just posting my thoughts:

all the devices are AFM scalers, with the exception of the eman and it's added functionality via extra harnesses.

SAFC- cheap, effective @ what it does (scales AFM input to ECU), interface a touch cumbersome.

MAP ECU- overpriced. sure the speed/density conversion is nice, but why? the lex AFM flows more than enough for 95% of the users here. interface is OK, but @ the core it's still just an AFM scaler for $600....

eman- flexable. in base form it performs much like the old knob AFC. add the support tool (or E01) and the harnesses and you have a device that is as close to a standalone as possible. even w/o the harnesses, the ability to datalog and scale AFM via a 16x16 table is great.

funny the MAFT isn't mentioned here. it's a viable option and allows you to run blow through should you feel so inclined, along with it's AFM scaling abilities.

evilone

Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
the only reason i didnt metion the MAFT is because it does all the work for you.as the the options mentioned, these are what are being use to tune the car yourself through some kind of interface.as far as i know you dont really have to do this with the MAFT setup. please correct me if i am wrong as i am not t familiar with what all goes into the MAFT setup besides the MAFT and the GM MAF and an optional wideband O2 for keeping an eye on things.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
evilone said:
the only reason i didnt metion the MAFT is because it does all the work for you.as the the options mentioned, these are what are being use to tune the car yourself through some kind of interface.as far as i know you dont really have to do this with the MAFT setup. please correct me if i am wrong as i am not t familiar with what all goes into the MAFT setup besides the MAFT and the GM MAF and an optional wideband O2 for keeping an eye on things.

how do you figure? the MAFT is merely a translator box that converts the hotwire MAF output to a KV frequency. the MAFT also allows you to scale the AFM input to the ECU, just like any of the aforementioned devices.

as with all the devices listed, you SHOULD have a wideband to monitor A/F and the changes you're making...