electrical problems

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
i've just gotten home for the weekend from school and i went to take my car out for a ride, as soon as i get it to the end of my driveway, it starts sputtering and the tems goes crazy and then everything shuts down. I turn the key back on and everything turns back on and seems fine, but the motor wont turn over. I am assuming that the alternator is not charging and the motor is running off of the battery, and then the battery is dying. How can i check if the alternator is charging the battery or not? there is no battery trouble light going on at any time.

Also, i noticed that the check engine light stays on, but turns off when i put on the rear defroster. any fast input will help me greatly.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Battery should be around 12 to 12.5 volts when car is not on (alternator not charging) and when the car is on and alternator is charging you should see around 14 to 14.5 volts. I would for sure check your battery connections and any factory wiring and aftermarket wiring to make sure nothing is loose or shorting out.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
yeah...my 1jz gave me horribly weird symptoms when i had my alternator go out. and the stupid thing is i did everything and checked everything but the alternator wires. one of the wires that goes into the alternator broke off.

have someone jump start you just to make sure its not a bad battery...and check that connector to the alternator.

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
its definitely not the battery, i'm pretty sure its the alternator, because when i have it running and i disconnect the positive side of the battery, the motor dies. Also i tried taking it for a spin around the block and it was sputtering pretty bad between 4 and 5k, a symptom that i was just reading about earlier but cant seem to find again. So i guess i'll hit up pepboys and try and get the alternator tested and get a new one if i need to. (if they carry them for a sc300). The only thing that i am weary about is if its the alternator or maybe my wiring which would be a nightmare for me.

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Kinda off topic, but did you by any chance take pics of the body plugs for the soarer 1jz?(IJ1,IJ2,Ik1,Ik2)?
I'm kinda confused about which plugs are which, thanks.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Ds650rida;915213 said:
its definitely not the battery, i'm pretty sure its the alternator, because when i have it running and i disconnect the positive side of the battery, the motor dies. Also i tried taking it for a spin around the block and it was sputtering pretty bad between 4 and 5k, a symptom that i was just reading about earlier but cant seem to find again. So i guess i'll hit up pepboys and try and get the alternator tested and get a new one if i need to. (if they carry them for a sc300). The only thing that i am weary about is if its the alternator or maybe my wiring which would be a nightmare for me.

isnt taking the cable off bad while the car is on?.... (ive read it somewhere on the forums before that its and old school trick not meant for new cars to some degree, who knows i may be wrong...)

is this a symptom of a bad ecu as well?