Electric vs. Mech gauges.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I am looking into getting gauges soon.(Boost, oil press. and A/F ratio.) and need a little help. Just wondering what the differance is, besides one being mech. the other being electric. Any advantage one has over the other? What are some of you guys running and why you went that route.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Sl1dewaysSupra said:
I am looking into getting gauges soon.(Boost, oil press. and A/F ratio.) and need a little help. Just wondering what the differance is, besides one being mech. the other being electric. Any advantage one has over the other? What are some of you guys running and why you went that route.

I prefer (and run) electrics, simply because I never want a hose with any kind of fluids to come undone in my dash :D

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
^^ Thats reason enough for me!

But just curious, Electrical gauges are more accurate, respond quicker, correct? I'm talking quality electric, i.e. Defi, vs. a quality mechanical

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Electric when it comes to any types of fluid. I'd never run coolant, oil, or fuel through my firewall, into into my dash. I'll let those stay in the engine bay, and run a nice wire into my gauges.

I ran a mechanical Apex-i boost gauge last year and it worked great. Simplest hook-up ever too(just a vacuum line, and a wire for light-up)

But when you get into multiple gauges, and anything that requires fluids, best to go Electric.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Sl1dewaysSupra said:
So the electrics would need sensors right? Aret they included with the gauges?

Yes, and usually, unless you're buying used, and the original owner didn't include it. I've never heard of a gauge being sold without the sensor.

Edit: The nicer "peak and hold" gauges such as Defi, Nexus... You will need to buy a control unit, which they all plug into, then you wire the sensors from that unit. It usually costs another 100 dollars or so.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Just remember to get a wideband a/f, not narrowband if you're using it for any tuning. Narrowbands are known for just being an inaccurate "lightshow"

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
there is some misinformation with mechanical gauges. As far as temp gauges, all mechanical ones are run using a copper wire (usually) and heating it up to the point where it sends the reading to the gauge. Mechanical pressure gauges also use senders, but in the same way. there is no fluid ever running in the wires.

But i use electric gauges as well.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
CryoSlash said:
there is some misinformation with mechanical gauges. As far as temp gauges, all mechanical ones are run using a copper wire (usually) and heating it up to the point where it sends the reading to the gauge. Mechanical pressure gauges also use senders, but in the same way. there is no fluid ever running in the wires.

But i use electric gauges as well.

mechanical pressure gauges read directly off the fluid. there is no sending unit. maybe you are thinking about an isolator kit. not sure about the temp gauges, ive never seen what you are talking about. all the ones ive seen if they use copper its hollow tubing.

all that being said, id much prefer a quality mechanical gauge over an electrical if possible.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Doward said:
Check out the prosport gauges ;)

I'm ordering a set of them next weekend :D

i was looking at that website, those are pretty nice, i would get the green gauges
-mechanical boost gauge
-electric water temperature gauge
-electric oil temperature gauge
$115.97 + $12.50 shipping seems like a good price for all 3

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
It all depends on the type of gauge. Usually things like Oil Pressure and Water Temp, electric is preferred, but things like Boost/Vacuum, mechanical is more common.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Doward said:
I prefer (and run) electrics, simply because I never want a hose with any kind of fluids to come undone in my dash :D

Absolutly. Imagine an oil line cracking and then your interior is filled with 200 degree oil.

I'll pass.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
i bought all the gauges as electrical gauges, they come with a sender. i would never run any lines except for the boost gauge into my cabin. its just scary to have the thought of hot burning oil running under your feet.

PS. check out my avatar, they are prosport gauges + lotek 3 pillar pod. i TOTALLY LOVE THME !!!!