Electric Supercharger

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elec...014QQitemZ330164397487QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thought I'd post this and cause a ruckus in here :biglaugh: Reminds me of that leaf blower Honda dyno video

jetin.jpg

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Assuming it doesn't fall apart, it might actually make a noticeable difference on an n/a, but I don't think it would make any difference on a turbo.

It looks mickey mouse, but in theory I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially on an N/A.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
how does it work? how the f is it powered, batteries? does the thing blow at the same rpm the whole time wtffuxxx??

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
suprabad said:
Assuming it doesn't fall apart, it might actually make a noticeable difference on an n/a, but I don't think it would make any difference on a turbo.

It looks mickey mouse, but in theory I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially on an N/A.
yeah everyone disses them but has anyone actually tried one out on a n/a engine and c if it actually does anything?? even if its like blowing 3-4psi thats still alot more air being forced in correct?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I was thinking that a NA engine would already be sucking a heck of a lot of air at 3000-6000 RPM, possibly more than the motor could maintain 2-3psi the whole time. It would be cool if it worked though. My Mk2 could use a kick in the pants :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it will only give you about 10HP (as I've seen in magazines)

it DOES like to fall apart and ruin things, not to mention it's a HUGE load on the battery/alternator, so it just defeats the purpose right there...

just put a damn turbo on your car...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
From another forum: "whatever you do, DO NOT GET THIS!!!
a dude on ha.net got this for his accord and it was the biggest rip ever... it puts in about .5psi of pressure but what happens, is at higher rpm's or at WOT (depending on vehicle), it will actually limit the amount of air coming in and will cost you power... it simply DOES NOT WORK"

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
tekdeus said:
From another forum: "whatever you do, DO NOT GET THIS!!!
a dude on ha.net got this for his accord and it was the biggest rip ever... it puts in about .5psi of pressure but what happens, is at higher rpm's or at WOT (depending on vehicle), it will actually limit the amount of air coming in and will cost you power... it simply DOES NOT WORK"
JUNK.....
Jet

suprflyusmc1

Dec 13, 2006
Ramona
Innovative idea, but I think that if I'm going to destroy my engine, I'd prefer to do it on the track, not with the help of some faulty plastic device.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
For 70 bucks, it shouldn't work. Real engineering costs money, which is why horsepower isn't cheap.

I think that this is a great idea, but it needs to be more than a plastic shell with a leaf blower in it. A bell-style supercharger turned by a specially built low loss electric DC motor off of a spare alternator at high efficiency... might net more respect. I'd imagine it'd work pretty damn good too... but, the added wieght of the extra electric motor is probably why it's never been done. To put it bluntly, it's just not feasable; one of those things you COULD do, but there's no point.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Sigh....

The item linked in the ebay ad is junk. These units produce around 1/2 psi of boost. They are garbage, inefficient and downright stupid.

The Thomas Knight superchargers can put out 15 psi, but only for a few seconds as they discharge the massive bank of capacitors and batteries that you have to add to your trunk for them to work. Then they slowly recharge as you drive. However the weight is a factor, you loose a ton of cargo space.

Overall, there is one thing to remember:

TANSTAAFL

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).

Edit: It seems even he is moving away from the electric SC thing and moving on to belt driven turbos. His electrics have a max 455 CFM flow rate with a maximum duration of 15 seconds. For $1695, that sucks.