Electric fan problems, again...

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Yeah, manual switch FTW!
Meh, some people prefer electric fans some people prefer the manual. I've had issues with both as far as cooling ability, however once I found a better ground for my electrics I have had much more cooling success with them.
So Jetjock, your coolant filter idea interests me, what kind of filter do you use? I will use one to prevent all the crap in my 7Ms system from killing my Mishimoto rad until I get the pristine 2JZ in

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Not sure how long it's been since the water pump was replaced, I'll have to look at the records. I want to look closer and see if I can verify that that is where it is leaking from.

I would certainly rather have the stock fan back on at this point. However I bought the car with the electric fans already installed and the previous owner did not supply the old fan and fan clutch. This means I need to get those and the fan shroud to go back to stock. I'll probably do this eventually, but that's probably more than I want to tackle in the apartment parking lot. I hope to buy a house with a garage this summer.

The manual override switch I wired in is the only thing that is keeping my car from overheating on the drive home from work every day.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i dont run my e-fans 95% of the time.
Your car shouldnt over heat unless your sitting there idling for 20mins+ or if your just sitting there revving it.
and if you have high speed only cooling problems, thats NOT your fans. you dont even needs the fans above 30-40mph... its for when your going stop light to stop light or sitting in traffic.

and i personally dont like my spal fans. there the dual ones that everybody uses... i think there more of a restriction than not.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
figgie;981946 said:
swaq

which fal's? the 220?
Yeah, 210 or 220.

Rennat;981973 said:
i dont run my e-fans 95% of the time.
Your car shouldnt over heat unless your sitting there idling for 20mins+ or if your just sitting there revving it.
and if you have high speed only cooling problems, thats NOT your fans. you dont even needs the fans above 30-40mph... its for when your going stop light to stop light or sitting in traffic.
My commute has a lot of stop lights. I know I have a problem with my cooling system besides the fans.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
replacing a water pump isnt a hard job and can certanily be tackled in an apartment lot. You know full well the consequences of an inadaquate cooling system in the 7m. Get to it soon.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Just to note - The common belief that electric fans 'free up power' is a load of horseshit. The fans require electricity, which places a greater load on the alternator which - guess what? - increases drag on the engine.

'Oh, but at speed the electric fans aren't on, so they aren't taking power!' Guess what sparky, the stock clutch fan (when working properly) is freewheelin' at that point. Same difference ;)

Oh, and 20 years continuous service > 2.5 years service, suprabad ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
swaq;982028 said:
Yeah, 210 or 220.

My commute has a lot of stop lights. I know I have a problem with my cooling system besides the fans.

Old age can be costly. I have a new radiator in my near future.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Doward said:
Just to note - The common belief that electric fans 'free up power' is a load of horseshit. The fans require electricity, which places a greater load on the alternator which - guess what? - increases drag on the engine.

I was lying in bed the other night with that E-fan thread on my mind and said the same thing to myself.

jetjock said:
most people overlook how the cooling system's total capacity operates over a very narrow range

I agree.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I looked under my hood again today and the top of my water pump was damp/wet with coolant. It doesn't appear to be leaking from above (either the thermostat housing or upper radiator hose), or at least it wasn't damp there.

theWeezL;982284 said:
replacing a water pump isnt a hard job and can certanily be tackled in an apartment lot. You know full well the consequences of an inadaquate cooling system in the 7m. Get to it soon.
Yeah, I just need to get a water pump and find some time to install it.

Doward;982352 said:

'Oh, but at speed the electric fans aren't on, so they aren't taking power!' Guess what sparky, the stock clutch fan (when working properly) is freewheelin' at that point. Same difference ;)

You must have accidentally posted in the wrong thread. This thread is a discussion on what the problem is with my cooling system as it is, not what cooling system is best. I think you meant to post in here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68983 :icon_razz

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
Doward;982352 said:

i'll take a loss of less than 2hp caused by drag of the altenator over the resistance of an extra pulley and a 5+ pound device that creates exponetial resistance depending on speed.

if anyone feels froggy here's the formula for calculating out hp drag from the altenator:

1.) Amperage output x voltage output = watts output
i.e. 100amps output at 14.7 volts = 1470watts

2.) Watt output x efficiency = watts input required
for 50% divide by .5, for 55% divide by .55, for 73% divide by .73

3.) Watts input divided by 745.7 = HP requirement

4.) HP requirement x Pulley Ratio = Actual HP used in vehicle

:biglaugh:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
back on topic...

So the drip is coming from above the water pump? That makes me think t-stat housing area. Maybe one of the turbo coolant hoses? or even just the t-stat cover?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
theWeezL;983195 said:
back on topic...

So the drip is coming from above the water pump? That makes me think t-stat housing area. Maybe one of the turbo coolant hoses? or even just the t-stat cover?
The area around the thermostat was dry. I couldn't see anything dripping from above the water pump.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Have you done a recent pressure test? I know you said a shop did one in the spring last year but heat and old age can do a lot in a year.
You can rent a pressure tester for probably free at an autozone and its something you can do in a parking lot.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
swaq;983222 said:
The area around the thermostat was dry. I couldn't see anything dripping from above the water pump.

Well there are a couple of hoses there as well. Im willing to bet you have a leak at one of those turbo lines. But, is that all the cause of your heat control problem? I dont know if that would be enough. Are you losing any amount of coolant over a day or two? and I would think if you are overheating, you would be able to pop the hood when its hot and see a leak or steam from somewhere.

I dont know, Im confused. This thread started as a fan question and now...I dont know. Get under that hood and do a little investigation then get back to us, lol

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
RedEj8;983242 said:
Have you done a recent pressure test? I know you said a shop did one in the spring last year but heat and old age can do a lot in a year.
You can rent a pressure tester for probably free at an autozone and its something you can do in a parking lot.
The shop which did the flush less than a month ago did a pressure test...

theWeezL;983300 said:
Well there are a couple of hoses there as well. Im willing to bet you have a leak at one of those turbo lines. But, is that all the cause of your heat control problem? I dont know if that would be enough. Are you losing any amount of coolant over a day or two? and I would think if you are overheating, you would be able to pop the hood when its hot and see a leak or steam from somewhere.

I dont know, Im confused. This thread started as a fan question and now...I dont know. Get under that hood and do a little investigation then get back to us, lol
I am definitely losing coolant, I had to add some this morning to get the "birdcage" light to turn off. It isn't a very fast leak though, as it was several weeks before I had to add coolant. The car was hot and running when I looked under the hood yesterday but I didn't see anything obvious besides the miniature puddles on top of the water pump.

Grimsta;983710 said:
If you get a flash light and really peek around there it should be blatantly obvious
I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow or something. I wish I had more free time...

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Personally I feel the flexalite fans suck....I have never used them and here in NY my friends have taken them out and used ford contour fans. The contour fans move way more air it seems to me.

If you are losing coolant look for leaks or a possible blown head gasket.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I love me FAL electric fans. I also replaced my radiator when I switched over. There are two kinds of fans one that pulls air and one that pushes. You should make sure yours pulls air through your radiator. Mine has kept my car nice and cool even in 95 degree heat.

My .02

scooter