Electric fan, is it worth it?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Depends on the objective...a healthy stock fan will pull a lot of air with the shroud in place. Removing it for HP gain? Not really worth it.

conundrum07

Just say no to Supras
Feb 26, 2007
Kansas City
I love my FAL's, however you have to space them for them to work properly. In its stock form, the fans sit too close to the radiator core and they cannot generate a sufficicent suction to work properly. When spaced ~1" or so they work great and are MUCH quieter than unspaced. I noticed a little quicker throttle responce after installing them. Im not sure about a power gain, I would assume there was some, but the main reason I like them is because it cleans up the engine bay quite a bit.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I had electric fans, i had them wired to a switch that i had to turn on when i turned on the car. So I put my mechanical back on. I like the stock one because the cooling is almost linear to rpms.

If you do go with electric fans get pusher style fans, or just some fans that fit behind the radiator, they work better.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
I really want an Electric fan just on the fact that the STock fan is a noise mofo sometimes...

What is the CFM air flow rating...?? Twin Thermo's are meant to give a lot more airflow but i'm unsure on it all.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I have fal fans on my 2jz, work great.. no problems as of yet.. we'll see this summer when its 100+ and the ac is blasting...

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
supraman7mgte said:
i found it best to have the fans hooked to a relay to keep from frying things
I am seriously considering doing this.
Is there some temp wire that i could hook up to it when the car hits like 190 or something?

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i have the Permacool temp sensor kit from summit working a 14" Permacool fan in a custom shroud(in my pic gallery)
the sensor simply goes between the fins in the radiator. when it reaches temperature,it activates the relay to turn on the fan. its adjustable as well.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I'm now running a dual fan setup (only main fan wired as of now)from a mid 90's Taurus SHO. Cheap, clean, and very functional. I lost my clutch fan a long time ago due to a conflict between the shroud and fan blades. There is no performance gain. Use heavy wire, good 30 amp(or better) relay(s) and you should be golden.

Search around a bit and you should be able to decide if you want to go e-fan and how to go about it if you do. Feel free to ask more specific questions as well.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The perma fan kit is a good deal the 14" fan pulls 3000cfm and only uses 10 amps! so it doesnt overload your electrical and since it uses only 10 amps they have thermal switches rated for that so that you dont need to add a relay!

I have a standalone ecu using the oem ecu water thermo sensor so now i dont need the less acurate sensors since my stand alone can kick on E-fans it is the best route!

Also the engine is like 100X more responsive when going to E-fan/lightened flywheel/one piece alunimum drive shaft/ under drive aluminum pully kit/ lighter larger brakes / lighter wheels!!
My car ran so great this time I am going from 4.3 diff to 3.9 because even with wider wheels i was loosing traction bad!

So it is way worth it.
Also whe you are driving down the road with a koyo thick nice radiator your engine actually runs way cool even with HP mods and your Efan only comes on when your car is stopped at a light for couple min on a hot day & maybe climbing the rockys for a couple hours slow in traffic.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Good point,a nice thick radiator helps out a lot as well. mine is almost twice the thickness of stock,and all aluminum. a clean system helps too,no gunk or crap like that clogging things up.