Electric Cooling Fan Installation

SupraStoked

I just bought an aluminum fan shroud for my 7mge. It's never had a fan shroud (even the stock one) for the year and a half that I've owned it. When going from cruising at 75mph on the freeway to being stuck in Chicago traffic in a matter of minutes, the engine heats up because there's no shroud to help the hydro fan suck air through the rad at low rpm's.

I haven't received the shroud in the mail yet but I just want some good advice on how I should go about wiring the fans up. I know the best way to do it is with a relay so I was looking to get this: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/10557/10002/-1?parentProductId=975693. But I guess I'm just a little confused as to what else I need to make the fans come on automatically and only when their needed?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I wouldn't to be honest. If you want a better fan, get a 10 blade from a turbo model. The 10 blade fan will move more air than any E-fan you can put in there. What condition is your radiator fluid in? How long since the radiator has been flushed? Have you checked the condition of the fins in the radiator? You could always try taking the radiator out and blowing compressed air in the fins to blow out any debris if it appears to be dirty.

I personally would flush the radiator system and fill with proper fluids then change thermostat and radiator cap will appropriate OE replacements.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Will the 7mgte 10 fan blade fit the 7mge fan clutch?

I checked RockAuto and seen that both the 7MGTE and the 7MGE had the same part number for the fan clutch HAYDEN 2653

SupraStoked

The radiator is only about a year old. Fins are not damaged, dirty, or anything like that. I even got rid of the a/c condenser so it's got direct airflow from the front of the car now. Thermostat was replaced at the same time but it was then replaced again later on because it failed and wouldn't open. The reason I decided t go with the electric fan shroud was because I don't have the plastic fan shroud that allows my stock fan to pull air through the rad, and seeing as how their not cheap or easy to find, I decided to spend the money on the electric fan shroud instead.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
alacran1;1962865 said:
I checked RockAuto and seen that both the 7MGTE and the 7MGE had the same part number for the fan clutch HAYDEN 2653

That doesn't make it so. The OP does have an airflow problem, based on his testimony of normal ops at high engine speed with high road speed.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraStoked;1962883 said:
The radiator is only about a year old. Fins are not damaged, dirty, or anything like that. I even got rid of the a/c condenser so it's got direct airflow from the front of the car now. Thermostat was replaced at the same time but it was then replaced again later on because it failed and wouldn't open. The reason I decided t go with the electric fan shroud was because I don't have the plastic fan shroud that allows my stock fan to pull air through the rad, and seeing as how their not cheap or easy to find, I decided to spend the money on the electric fan shroud instead.

Fan shroud is cheaper than a proper e-fan setup, and as easy to find as your local dealer...

SupraStoked

Poodles;1963105 said:
Fan shroud is cheaper than a proper e-fan setup, and as easy to find as your local dealer...

Yea I thought the stock fan shroud was more expensive than it is..but the open holes on the drivers side of the shroud won't have a fan to pull air through. I believe those were for the a/c and I got rid of the a/c a while ago. Those little fans weren't even working either so...I guess what I'm saying is, wouldn't that open a/c fan hole in the shroud not let as much air get pulled out of the rad by the hydro fan? It just seems like the closed aluminum fan shroud that I bought would force more air to come out of the e fans because there's no other place for it to go.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
I ditched the clutch fan and built my own efan setup using OE Ford Taurus radiator fans and a custom made shroud. I picked up an adjustable thermo-switch that turns on both fans at around 220°F and shuts them down a little over 185°F. Also installed an override switch that'll turn the fans on if I so choose.

Use something like this to set the temp you want your e-fan to switch on/off http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16749/overview/

Here's my setup

9991823894_dd591a2027_z.jpg

Installed in the car. Not a great pic, but they fit nice with a good amount of clearance.
9991870966_b0e319866a_z.jpg

These fans are killer, pull so much air when both are turned on. I actually had to be careful when I first installed them, I miscalculated and set the thermo-switch improperly and the fans stayed on and dropped the coolant temp to around 170°F after it was fully warmed up w/ambient temps up around mid 80's. However, this was with a restrictor plate installed in lieu of the thermostat.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with using a proper clutch fan and shroud, it's dogma in the 7M community. However, my setup outperformed my previous one which utilized the GTE 10-blade, and it cost me around $100.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
On my 1J I rock a clutch fan without the shroud, never even thought about overheating since then. The fan should be enough by itself, if its still over heating then I would check that other stuff out long before I went E-fans again