EGR System question

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
So I have an 88 with the stock 7MGTE in it. I bought the car non running, and finally after replacing the CPS and putting the starter in the correct way it is running. However when it runs, the exhaust looks like a mosquito fogger truck.. The white smoke comes out in CLOUDS. So I start looking for answers, check the oil no milkshake. (previous owner said a local shop known to be good with Supra's did the HG so I'm almost 100% positive it's not a BHG, but could be), but still no milkshake oil, pull the PCV and watch for the white smoke there as I was told this is a good way to check if the rings are shot. Now after doing both of those and finding no positive findings, I start looking through the TSRM... Look at the diagram of the EGR system, and look at my car and pieces are missing... No Charcoal canister, no BVSV, some of the metal hoses that sit next to the 3000 pipe have no hosing on them just wide open on both ends... I'm wondering if the dips**t that had the car (True statement as the reason he sold it is because he couldn't get the starter to work... I get it home he had the wires backwards...) anyway I'm wondering if he attempted to remove the EGR system and left some of the PCV system and now it's dumping oil into the intake... My main question is, is this possible, and if it is, other than completely rebuilding the EGR system, what options do I have to stop the smoke, I can't even start the car in my garage without it smelling like I'm committing suicide and burning my entire nasal track. (not the Antifreeze oil mixed smell either)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not possible.

Was the bhg repair done and the car driven? Sometimes after doing a hg there is left over coolant that needs to burn off in the cat.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not possible.

Was the bhg repair done and the car driven? Sometimes after doing a hg there is left over coolant that needs to burn off in the cat.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Sorry its not pure white there if a blueish tint to it, it definitely isn't cool, I can get pics later this evening, but I know the charcoal canister inlet hose had a pencil jammed and taped in it, when I unplugged it all I could smell was gas, I bought a canister and started to put that back in and realized the BVSV was broken.. As far as BHG repair being done and then driven I'm not sure but believe it was. As I said I will get complete engine bay pics shortly so you can see how screwed up it really is

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

meekmeek

Jul 29, 2011
Augusta, GA
I'm in the same boat as you but I'm also running really rich. I put in some no smoke and it completely stopped. So far so good but it's only been a few days.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Ok so I know it took me a couple of days to get pics as I've been swamped with work but I've finally got the pics and a video so everyone can see the smoke.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is the charcoal canister input hose, I put a bolt in it instead of a no. 2 pencil like the idiot before me.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is some of the pipes that have no hoses hooked up to them, after looking in the TSRM it appears the BVSV is supposed to run in to this and then this in to the intake mani???
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is the video, Also when running the car to get the video I found a new problem.. I'm now having error code 24 and 31... Would either one of these cause the horrible smoke screen it produces?

24 Intake air Temp Sensor Signal

Diagnosis
Open or short circuit in intake air temp sensor signal (THA).
Trouble Area
Intake air temp sensor circuit
Intake air temp sensor
ECU

31 Air Flow Meter Signal

Diagnosis
(7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
(7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.
Trouble Area
Air flow meter circuit
Air flow meter
ECU

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Sorry I just realized the pictures were a little blurry, I uploaded them directly from my phone without previewing them first but, I think you can see mostly everything though.

nrdriver

Mar 2, 2012
salem oregon
sure looks like coolant to me dude. ive been a technician for 10 years. and those codes wont cause that white smoke but they will make it run like crap. is the afm and intake temp sensor plugged in?

Last edited:

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Is it possible when the HG was done it wasn't torqued enough and the head just lifted because I think it wasn't driven much after it was done?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
That's definitely coolant. You most likely are looking at a head gasket replacement, possibly a full rebuild depending on how much its been driven like that.
-AM3

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Hasn't been driven at all... Didn't have this smoke when I first bought the car it didn't run because of the cps going out, so I fixed that, warmed it up a couple times and now this... It might be enough to make me get rid if it...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
How bad does it misfire? If it is water (coolant) the car should run really bad with all that water in the combustion chamber. On to smoke.

1. White- water vapor or unburned fuel
2. Black- partialy burned fuel
3. Blue- partially burned heavy HC's (oil)

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
Nick, the car runs awesome builds boost super fast, no choppy revving or anything, just pours smoke, I'm stumped at this point... A buddy suggested a tear in the head gasket maybe letting coolant in the cylinders... I know this is a dumb question but do the cams have too come out to check torque on the head? It appears so, to me but I maybe over looking something, not a newb, but I've never done a head gasket personally... Being a 7m I should probably get familiar with the process lol

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
If the headgasket is blown the coolant reservoir will be bubbling and overflowing, and it will be making waterfall noises in the dash on a cold start. Before you tear the head off, take off the turbo inlet hose and check for excess shaft play and scrape marks on the housing. I've seen a blown turbo smoke exactly like that on a 7M. It also ran perfectly otherwise, spooled fine, but the turbo had tons of shaft play and was pouring out oil on the exhaust side.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
So I took the inlet off and there is maybe 1 MM at the very absolute most shaft play side too side and I didn't see where ire looked like it was damaged.. I spun it freely and there was no rubbing or grinding or scraping sounds... I'm wondering if the rings are leaking at this point...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
NoLimitslja;1815615 said:
Nick, the car runs awesome builds boost super fast, no choppy revving or anything, just pours smoke, I'm stumped at this point..

So it acts like coolant is getting into the exhaust, but not from the combustion chamber.

Sent from my computer using the keyboard.