EGR questions

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
I have this very faint *tick* that comes with any throttle amount (its not a knock) except at idle all is quiet. Also it is coming from the back of the head around #6.

My question is this:

Can a malfunctioning EGR system or component cause this tick?

And if answer may be yes will EGR delete plates fix me up or be a bad idea? (i have no emissions here)

--Thanks,
Steve

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ya an exhaust manifold gasket, egr cooler gasket, or egr valve to cylinder head gasket could cause an exhaust leak like that. If you can get your hard around the components (be careful very hot) you can try to feel for exhaust blowing out. The egr cooler gasket is where I would focus first, its a big rectangular plate bolted to the back of the head. Dont block the egr off, its essential for a properly running engine, not just emissions.

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
supposedly i have the same tick coming from the egr, but at the same time my valve shims were out of whack so that also causes a tick. is it possible it could be your shims?..

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
EGR can not cause engine ticking. If you had an exhaust leak to atmosphere, you would hear it, but most wouldn't call it ticking.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
^ +1 to what he said. When my EGR cooler gasket blew out, it made a ticking that corresponded to how much throttle and rpms were on the motor. New gasket...all good! Something to check.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Hearing a metal gasket move isn't engine ticking noises. And since he didn't say he had an engine noise, then he can look for it. I have stop assuming people are...never mind.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'll second an exhaust leak. I had to do my EGR cooler plate gasket about 6 months ago and I just resurfaced my exhaust manifold and helicoiled the head last week, and I would describe the leak sound as a pretty distinct tick under throttle. If it ends up getting bad (I completely blew out part of my EGR cooler plate gasket) it will get VERY obvious.

This one's pretty bad already, but it gives you an idea of the tick noise...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQ-SEMRYyY&feature=related

You can try retorquing your manifold (CAREFUL! DON'T EXCEED TOYOTA TORQUE SPEC, VERY PRONE TO STRIPPING IN THE HEAD) and egr cooler plate, but it's likely going to be a gasket. If you can hear it when under throttle it will probably get louder the higher rpm/boost you are (more exhaust pressure).

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, if you replaced that gasket during a build, most gasket sets come with a paper gasket for it (fel-pro included). It blows....literally. OEM is some sort of metallic material.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
^

The reason I had to replace my EGR cooler plate gasket. Toyota one is a composite or some sort, probably graphite or something. None the less, paper/cardboard burns up, whatever Toyota sells doesn't.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;1702041 said:
EGR can not cause engine ticking. If you had an exhaust leak to atmosphere, you would hear it, but most wouldn't call it ticking.

Huh? I've had an egr leak sound like a tick. I've also had an exhaust leak sound like a tick. A real valve tick is slightly different, bit not to most amateur mechanics...

Op: egr can definitely sound like a tick, though in my case, it was noticeable at idle.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Like others have said, it isn't a gasket moving causing noise. It's exhaust gas escaping and yes I have had personal experience and not just hearsay with this particular EGR gasket problem causing a "tick." I'm not saying it's 100% what he has, but it is something to investigate.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have never heard a ticking exhast leak on a Toyota. Since it is being brougt up. They make a put-put-put noise that I hear. Most of those were from donut gaskets that are old.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

suprarx7nut;1702204 said:
A real valve tick is slightly different, bit not to most amateur mechanics...

How about a multi-recert Master?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on the size of the leak and where it's located. On a donut gasket, you're getting all the exhaust pulses, on the EGR you're only getting one. Sounds different because of it.