EGR Plate gasket..help

David D

Oct 19, 2008
Califfornia
The EGR Plate on the very back of the 7M cylinder head where the exhaust gases travel though has a gasket. What is the best thing to use for a gasket on this plate. There is a fair amount of pressure inside this plate so I would imagine its a sensitive area for a gasket to be. I picked up some Toyota Hi-temprature silicone from the dealship (which I heard was excellent stuff) I cleaned the surface very well and applied a suficent beed around the plate, I bolted it down and allowed the excess to ooze out the sides.

Do you think this is a suffient gasket? or should I use something differnt?
any input would be great.

Thanks again!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No, silicone can't take the heat the EGR cooler is subject to. You want an OEM EGR cooler gasket...get one at the dealer.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I had a problem with leaking from that plate after an engine rebuild.

It turned out that the engine builder had reused the old gasket.

Anyway I bought a new OEM gasket and some locktit.

It's been perfectly sealed since.

Do it right the first time since it's a pain to exchange later when the engine is in the car.

David D

Oct 19, 2008
Califfornia
Is the gasket a paper type gasket? how much was the gasket?
Kristian_Wraae;1178006 said:
I had a problem with leaking from that plate after an engine rebuild.

It turned out that the engine builder had reused the old gasket.

Anyway I bought a new OEM gasket and some locktit.

It's been perfectly sealed since.

Do it right the first time since it's a pain to exchange later when the engine is in the car.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
David D;1177999 said:
But the silicone is made for Hi temprature?

The OEM EGR cooler gasket is made from composite graphite (same stuff as the OEM head gasket) for a reason. A couple guys here recently used the paper type Felpro gaskets and had to replace due to a leak. The heat destroyed it.

If you think high temp silicone can handle it, go ahead. When you get to remove the EGR cooler with the engine in the car, you'll know why I told you to use the OEM gasket ;)

David D

Oct 19, 2008
Califfornia
ok thanks for the advise, ill do that:icon_bigg...any idea how much those gaskets run, is it fairly expensive?
jdub;1178012 said:
The OEM EGR cooler gasket is made from composite graphite (same stuff as the OEM head gasket) for a reason. A couple guys here recently used the paper type Felpro gaskets and had to replace due to a leak. The heat destroyed it.

If you think high temp silicone can handle it, go ahead. When you get to remove the EGR cooler with the engine in the car, you'll know why I told you to use the OEM gasket ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You'll have to call...I don't know the cost. Regardless of cost you really, really want the Toyota gasket...it will save you a huge chunk of time down the road. Pay attention to the torque spec for the cooler bolts...the holes in the aluminum head can strip if you're not careful. I apply nickle anti-seize rated to 1600 deg F (Permatex part #80071) to the bolt threads...in fact, I use it on all the exhaust bolt/stud threads.