EGR delete, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
BKCressida1718;1341996 said:
what to do if i bought a jdm motor (no egr) that didnt come with the ecu?

Install the egr system off the engine you removed. If that doesn't apply, then search the 'For Sale' sections or post a 'Want to buy' thread in the proper section.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if you bought a jdm motor obviously you have a usdm engine. take off the block off plates and install the egr off the old motor or go the junkyards and get the egr. the only really part showing in the egr circuit is the egr modulator. which is small and bolts to the back of the engine where you can barley see it. i do not get why taking off egr really cleans up the engine bay that much. well i guess it could be a honda thing and in that case sell your supra and buy a f'ing honda.

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
ok i have been thinking about this, im glad this thread came up cause now i know not to. However I believe that my supra is running a JDM ecu, is there anyway to tell? Cause if it is running a JDM ECU then i will go ahead and remove the EGR.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MKiiiturbodrift;1342138 said:
ok i have been thinking about this, im glad this thread came up cause now i know not to. However I believe that my supra is running a JDM ecu, is there anyway to tell? Cause if it is running a JDM ECU then i will go ahead and remove the EGR.

Post up the part number.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Poodles;1341942 said:
How does it clean up anything when it's on the back of the engine anyway?

Wut. The EGR system is ugly ad IMO the bay looks nicer w/o it. PLUS it makes it easier to get to the starter from the top (if you're stubborn like me and do it that way bc you don't have a shit ton of extensions)

At any rate, I personally wouldn't remove an EGR from a GTE car without having the proper ECU. I think running around w/o an EGR on a 5M I had years ago, that was on a USDM ECU, eventually popped the head gasket in #6.

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
IMO if you want more power or cleaner engine bay go ffim (with all the suporting mods obviously)...btw the egr is not that big to clean your engine bay ....:nono::nono::nono:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
hvyman;1341917 said:
true even tho relocating the charcoal canister would be much more improvement..........

NOT an improvement at ALL!!! Just hard on your fuel pump.

jdub;1341924 said:
Tell me, how did you come to this conclusion? Instinct? Karma? Yoda? Your cat tell you?

The point is part throttle detonation will manifest itself with a blown HG and the EGR is never even thought of as the culprit. You are right about one thing, you will get to find out. What are you going to blame it on when you blow this HG?

But the 7M of course...

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Never delete the EGR as it serves more then just emissions. There was an independent testing showing that the small gain of power wasn't worth the early detentions and fine tuning without the egr. This was done on a 4g63t... I know not the same motor, but something of a myth. You don't gain anything until you completely go stand alone (full race). Keep that EGR on keep those CO2 and NOx acceptable.

<---- I tried it with bad results. Keeping the EGR on keep my idle perfect and more fuel efficient. Not to mention the crispier throttle with it on then blocked. A good lesson learned on a Daily driver vehicle with decent mods.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Killing this thread as this topic has been disected by jdub with additional information from me.

Search, research (not only supras but specifically Honda insight, Mahle which is owned my Cosworth etc).

There is never a good reason to delete EGR unless full blown standalone, and even then, if EGR can be used, it would be better at detonation suppression than without.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.