EGR block off...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The EGR VSV on the bottom rear of the intake manifold...yes you can. Make sure you block the vac line going to it.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
vsv is that thing under the power steering reservoir, correct? it has two vaccume hoses connected to it. what does that little valve/sensor do? what will happen if i bipass it?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
thesandymancan said:
vsv is that thing under the power steering reservoir, correct? it has two vaccume hoses connected to it. what does that little valve/sensor do? what will happen if i bipass it?

It's actually connected to the PS pump...it's called an air control valve...it's NOT a VSV. It acts as an idle up device for when the PS pump is under heavy load...turn the steering all the way left or right and you'll see it function. You do not want to bypass it. ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You've removed the pump or just disabled it (took the belt off)? Why on earth would you want to drive a heavy pig like a Mk III with no PS? :3d_frown: Hope you never have to make a quick move at lower speed.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Well...if you ever plan on fixing it, leave the lines in place. There is no benefit in removing them.

I know you're young, bullet proof, and strong as a ox...but, driving a heavy car like the MkIII without power assist is asking for an accident. If you're not worried about yourself, think about the person you might hit.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
i know this the reason it's not fixed is because i didn't have the money at the time. i got used to it, then when i had the money... it all went to a head gasket job. it will be fixed soon though. the reason i'm asking is, i hate the line from the afm to the valve.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Well...here's a piece of wisdom for ya. IMO, the PS needs to be fixed...driving the car without it is hazardous. This kind of lesson has been beat in my head for many years in aviation...it's a lesson written by some of the most god awful accidents you can imagine and innocent people paid the price. Safety doesn't have a price that's too high...period.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...know what you mean JJ. The company acually got involved and was able to pusuade the TSA to back off on crew. I went through security today without a hitch...had to take my fiberglass shank shoes off though. :3d_frown:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Thats what I was talking about. Taking toothpaste and shampoo from crew. As idiotic as the last round with clippers and scissors. And what about FFDOs? Oops, guess they forgot about that. I tell ya, the bad guys won long ago.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I know...pretty stupid judgment calls. We had one FA onboard today that they took a $100 bottle of perfume from. I just try to keep in mind these guys weren't hired to do brain surgery and the local leadership (depending on where) can go psycho on the directives. I never argue with an idiot...they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

You'll have to trust me on this one...they haven't won...not even close. I have access to Intel from the military side in far more detail than what's on the tube. You would be impressed with the work that went on to uncover all this.

Looking at it, the TSA is between a rock and a hard place. I'm not defending some of the individual actions, but at least the TSA did listen concerning crew. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow for us working dogs.

Last edited: