EGR Block Off Questions

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i was reading about EGR plates and seem like it could do some good for the supra but then again, emissions and that shit could be a bitch sometimes.
my question is how hard is it to take out the egr system and how hard is it to put it back on, right now its easy because my engine is apart but how about wen its all together.

thx.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
are there any threads on how to remove the shit? also do i need to remove my egr cooler?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
You don't NEED to remove the EGR cooler... I believe it is the hardest part to get to with the head on the engine. You can just plug it up if you want. But if you can, definitly remove it as well.

I have a question about the EGR removal as well. Now I know the the EGR has a cooling effect on cumbustion temps under normal driving conditions. Is it a good idea to have an fuel computer and tune it a tiny bit more rich under normal driving if you remove the EGR to avoid detonation or something?

p j

Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
ehh.. IMO it'd be kind of a bitch to actually tune it to compensate at the right times. Main thing that you have to worry about in this circumstance is the spark advance rather than a lean condition, but I see where you're going. I'd say stick with a high enough octane fuel and you should be fine

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
in all the reality the EGR is basically a failsafe if you will.... you reallyarent hurting much of anything (aside from maybe your gas mileage) by taking it off....

as for difficulty...when everythings in the car good luck getting it off easily....so if you take it off dont expect to be able to slap it back on whenever you please...and passing emissions without it i would think is extremely difficult...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the decrease in gas mileage is so minimal that if you get a lightweight jack (rx7 jack) you'll regain your mileage.. haha

-shaeff

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
the decrease in gas mileage is so minimal that if you get a lightweight jack (rx7 jack) you'll regain your mileage.. haha

-shaeff

heh relatively...but on a sidenote...since you brought it up...i was using a rx7 jack the other day and they weigh like nothing! i was like DAYUM! lol still held up the supra nicely though ;)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea why couldnt mazda make our chasis and toyota make our driveline. i mean SHIT think of that mix. our cars would weigh wut 1600 pounds with like 230 hp

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
why would blocking off the egr low fuel economy? it increases engine efficiancy... so shouldnt it increase fuel economy too?
just curious...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
kaz87supra said:
why would blocking off the egr low fuel economy? it increases engine efficiancy... so shouldnt it increase fuel economy too?
just curious...

well IMO youre half correct and half wrong...

yes in a sense it will give you better engine efficiency and "better" gas mileage...BUT that will cause you to burn a bit more gas as well...so in all reality it evens out...

heres an interesting link for some history and explanations...

http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm

J

JerzeySlowpra

i've wanted to do this for a while but it really doenst look fun to do, i have the PH plates sitting here im just waiting for a nice day and def. not looking forward to it

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
just wanted to check with everyone. when blocking this off. What if any are the issues that come up that you have to deal with and how do you deal with them. Such as a Getting a error code.

Also all you need to do is put on the block off plates or is there some other things you need to do at the same time.

Also does anyone know what the length and thread is of the Screw that hold down our Valve covers i want to get some Hex bolts and washers to keep them down this time. Also they need to be Stainless stell right????

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
you'll only get an error code if you have a '90+ cali car, they have a temp probe in the EGR valve.

there is no point in blocking off your EGR if you're just going to use those lame plates sold everywhere. EGR is NOT active @ idle or WOT, only under cruise conditions....and it improves mileage. the only correct way to block off EGR is to remove the EGR cooler and block the port coming off #6. that way you reduce the hot ex. gas sitting around the back of the head....just my $6....

IIRC the cam cover bolts are M8x1.25. no idea on length. no need to use SS....

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
drjonez Thank you very much for the info. The reason why i wanted to block that off is to prevent the heat problem with number 6 looks like i will have allot more work to do then

shaeff Thanks man

Last edited:

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
I see these plates selling that block the EGR but what do I do about the assesories? I mean will the engine idle shit fight and fuck properly?