EGR B/O kit - EGR Cooler plate removal / modification????

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Building my 7MGTE and getting ready to install the EGR block off plates, i see on many sites offering these plates the following:

"If you leave the EGR cooler plate and just block the hole on the intake side of the head, it causes heat buildup in the head and the #6 cylinder, leading to blown head gaskets! This is the only version we offer because it will not cause engine problems"

Is there anything I need to do to the cooler plate on the back of the head? Will the heat from the #6 cyl build up and possibly cause a condition where the block will head unevenly or cause a condition where a BHG could occur?

Thanks in Advance for you assistance!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Better to just leave it on.

With that jdm 7m's run a block off plate on the back of the head with the cooler removed and on the intake manifold.

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
guess I'm confused - the kit has 2 b/o plates 1 for back of the head and the other for the intake. I have some folks that say "get rid of the egr, it's adding heat into your motor via intake" and others that say keep the egr stuff on the car.

I am keeping the stock intake plenum setup for now and just want to know if the egr cooler plate should be removed / modified / or left alone?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Theres no reason to get rid of your EGR really unless youre going for a high hp build where emissions are of no concern, and you have tuned the car to run without it. But anyways since you plan to block it off, what hvyman was saying is that on jdm 7m's (no egr from the factory, and different ECU tuned for that), they had a block off plate on the back of the head, exhaust side, no cooler plate, and a block off plate on the intake manifold, so you should be fine with that setup.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
CyFi6;1633513 said:
Theres no reason to get rid of your EGR really unless youre going for a high hp build where emissions are of no concern, and you have tuned the car to run without it.

What he said... IMO after extensive reading on this forum and some additional articles in relation to the Toyota EGR system and after buying the block off kit from Drift Motion and mind you installing them... I pulled them back off and put my EGR system back before completing the motor.

The basics without going into a big ol' spiel would be that unless you are going stand-alone (or JDM ECU that is tuned without one) leave the EGR. My understanding is that the greatest risk is mid-power, perhaps higher torque detonation (transition from cruise to climbing a hill while in close loop) If you search there are a couple of excellent threads that relate to the dangers of pulling the EGR without taking into consideration that the stock US ECU thinks it is there, therefore manipulates timing and other factors expecting it to be there.

If I am off track, someone please correct me, but this is my understanding of the "Should I remove my EGR" question in a Reader's Digest Version...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It will do nothing to your performance as well. Might even make the back of the head hotter.

Edit: Its mostly a honda guy thing to me. They think it adds hp but it doesnt and the egr valve is closed at wot so its essentually "blocked" off when your at wot.

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Thanks for the replies, Guess I should have stated my Goals

425 - 525 HP - Stand alone AEM ECU, motor fresh re-build (forged pistons, eagle rods, balanced, ported heads, all new components). All the aftermarket equipment to make this work.

upgraded fuel supply, injectors, FPR, ignition, intercooler, hard pipes.

Trying to keep this as streetable as possible but track worthy as well.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
CtownDawgs88;1633544 said:
Thanks for the replies, Guess I should have stated my Goals

425 - 525 HP - Stand alone AEM ECU, motor fresh re-build (forged pistons, eagle rods, balanced, ported heads, all new components). All the aftermarket equipment to make this work.

upgraded fuel supply, injectors, FPR, ignition, intercooler, hard pipes.

Trying to keep this as streetable as possible but track worthy as well.

LOL Yeah if you are going stand-alone definitely a different story... So back to your 1st question... IMO I would use both BOPs (head on exhaust side and Plenum) and remove the cooler, as I personally think it would gather heat in that area if it had no where to go...

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
So just un-bolt the 6 bolts on the EGR Cooler, take off ? Anything behind that plate that needs to be addressed?

BTW Nice Ride gottadiesel - who makes those wheels?

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Yea Just clean it. I only used one on the back of the head. But I am running a FFIM. No EGR really cleans up the bay as well. Better get a gasket from an exhaust shop to seal it. They just cut me one from scrap for free.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
CtownDawgs88;1633558 said:
BTW Nice Ride gottadiesel - who makes those wheels?

Thank You! They are Foose Speeds... I was not sure if I would like them, but once they were on the car I loved them...

My next go around with this car, it is a DD (35k a year) I figure another 5 years I would like to do a frame up re-build, then go to an AEM stand-alone like you are doing...

Good luck on your project!

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
hvyman;1633595 said:
He has standalone so it really doesnt matter.

Need to get oem gasket for the egr cooler.

What doesnt matter?

Are you suggesting putting the
Cover back on the back of the head?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk