EFI University

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
I'm curious if anyone here has attended one of these ''seminars''. It looks realy interesting. The prices are a bit much I think for a few days, some as much as a whole semester at a comunity college, but if its worth it then who knows? Anyone else think the founder looks just like the guy from the innovate motorsports videos?

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
My first thoughts without a price.....There is no way you can learn anything that will be very beneficial in a few days over what you can just read on the internet for free

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
First hand knowledge and experiance in a controlled environment is in no way as beneficial as what you find on an internet forum?...

What is everyone supposed to do? Take notes on how to tune here and then go down to the dyno, try it out, then come back here with questions on the results of why the engine burst into flames?

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
In my experience formal training is worth every penny .. I haven't personally been to the class but these types of things are generally what give you the edge . It will put that much more ahead of the guy next to you..

Jason

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
Well, I came across this looking for schools. I've been trying to see what kind of courses I could take to end up in this profession. It didn't look at all fishy until I saw the seminar stuff, so I thought I should get some feed-back, see if the word was out about it. The facility they have in CA. is what impressed me. A school for tuning with a dyno in it is an awsome concept. Although I could probably pay just about any shop to let me watch them work for that much $$$$.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
EFI101 is no good!! :p

all kidding aside.

efi101 is actually real beneficial. When someone knows what they are talking about (Ben Strader) you get to learn from that knowledge. Are they worth it. You bet your ass they are.

Watching them work and getting explained what terms like MBT, BFC and how exactly fuelin requirements are set prior to tuning are to independant and mutally exclusive from one another. Watching you won't learn the concepts. Flip the coins and quit being a cheapstake.

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
Who are you calling cheap! JK I am (army pay sucks. But hey maybe GI bill could cover this?).
I assume you took the course then. What did you get out of it? Do these guys dumb it down for beginers and if not, what should I know going in to this to be able to get anything out of it?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
87supradude said:
Who are you calling cheap! JK I am (army pay sucks. But hey maybe GI bill could cover this?).
I assume you took the course then. What did you get out of it? Do these guys dumb it down for beginers and if not, what should I know going in to this to be able to get anything out of it?

Army? NG or active? :) Ex Air Force here.

they won't dumb it down. No need to. The talk without all the acronyms which is where people get stuck on.

Be prepared to crunch numbers to get a general idea of base fueling requirments before tuning. The advanced stuff is good for hands on tuning (I think they use Autornic for that). And the book yopu get in class comes in real real handy.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I took the EFI 101 course a few months ago in Seattle, it was a great learning experience. It is more geared towards standalone ecu tuning and how to set it up. It was a two day course, with the first day in the class room doing theory, where you learn how and what each engine sensor operates and the basics on a/f ratios and the effects of timing on an engine. And the second day was tuning a car on the dyno where he show the steps on how to properly and SAFLEY tune a car. It was cool to see him pick up 20+ hp accross the board on a race car that was already fully tuned (by someone else), just by adjusting the timing. There are many good formulas that he gives you, the have/want formula for a/f's works great, and you can actually make a full correct fuel map with math calculations only, and be within a +/- .5 a/f value.

It is also great because you can ask the questions that you have always wondered about and know that you will get the correct answers, from a guy who know his stuff. Ben Strader has wrote many books on EFI and tuning and has worked on many factory race teams like Porsche. The course is based from the book Building & Tuning High Performance Electronic Fuel Injection By Ben Strader.

I highly reccomend it for anyone that is thinking of going with a standalone ecu, as it really gives you an understanding on how everything works from a professional tuner.

Randy@BIC

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong classes than what you guys are then.

But also how much are you paying for this course?

For you can take a course at an Auto College of 6 weeks for 1200

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
Selz202 said:
First hand knowledge and experiance in a controlled environment is in no way as beneficial as what you find on an internet forum?...

What is everyone supposed to do? Take notes on how to tune here and then go down to the dyno, try it out, then come back here with questions on the results of why the engine burst into flames?

I wasnt comparing them to forums, but yet the actual researching part of the internet.....there is more than just forums and online stores to the internet.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Syris said:

http://www.efi101.com/

begining (EFI 101) class is $450/$499 2 days
The advanced class is 8 - 10 hours of 1 on 1 tuning. $1095
ACP is 5 days. 4 people per class. $4995.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
^ I was going to the same class BIC is talking about in Seattle but the class filled up before my $ cleared. I am still waiting for the class to be offered in the wa. state area again so i can go. I think its totally worth the $500 for the 2 days because its better than learning the hard way on a build that costs 10x that. Its an invaluable learning experience to learn how to tune firsthand than just trying to make sense from tidbits here and there. Hell my parents are offering to pay for the course if it comes back in the area and they hate it when i work on my car.

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
Syris said:

You can take a performance EFI class at a technical college? Very unlikely does it cover the depth he goes into, I don't know of many that would teach you enough to tune a standalone well by yourself. I would think that would be more of a higher end college than just a tech. school.

Besides you still have to take all of the prereqs and pay for all of that, just to get to the class you actually want.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
Its not a regular college, nor just a tech school. Its University Of Northwestern OH, The whole degree is Auto/ Hi Performance. Hell ours even goes into Dyno tuning and a whole lot more.