Effing stuttering

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have recently developed a problem with my car stuttering. It started one morning when I was driving to work and, with light acceleration, my car felt like it hit a quick fuel cut as soon as I heard my turbo start spooling (T04E). When I got off of work it wasn't doing it anymore. Now it's messing up big time. When I'm idling I'm running super rich and almost stalling out. When I'm lightly acceleration my car will stutter at about 2700-3000 RPM or when I make light adjustments to the throttle. Everything seems to be running fine when I go WOT or heavy acceleration. I am throwing a code 31 which I know is an AFM code. I'm running the Lexus AFM. I've tried three different AFM electronics but all with the same problems (slightly worse with one of the AFMs). I'm taking it to the shop Friday to see if they can figure out what's wrong with it, I would just like to get some info from the knowledgable people on the forum to be somewhat prepared for bad news. Thank you to anybody who can give any feedback to my dear Supra's woes.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
its gotta be your afm. i was messing around with mine a couple mmonths back and i forgot to plug the afm back in and around 2500 rpm the car would stutter really bad. i plug the damn thing back in and the car worked fine again. gL

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I doubt a mechanic is going to be very helpful unless they've got some experience with the MKIII. Most will beat around the bush and tell you it's something else that's wrong (a lot of them point there finger at the ECU, dumb asses) and you need to replace said culprit with a new one. The next thing you know your pockets are much lighter and you still have the same problem.

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
My mechanics have at least 12 years service at the local Toyota dealership, one of them owns a MKIII, and anybody in town that has a MKIII in town that takes their car to a mechanic takes it to them. So my mind's at ease on that subject. Could it be that all 3 of the electronics that I have tried were bad?

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just got back from the shop. It's something that nobody expected. Bad rings. My car isn't even burning oil, but the compression test only got 75psi. Thanks to anybody who tried guessing.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Supraboy89 said:
boost leak . or your turbo inlet has a leak

Wtf? That's bad advice if I ever saw some, in several ways.

Casper: While I won't dispute your compression test I will say it's not possible for bad rings to cause a code 31. A code 31 will however cause the problem you're having. I'd be getting a second opinion if I were you.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
casper35404 said:
Just got back from the shop. It's something that nobody expected. Bad rings. My car isn't even burning oil, but the compression test only got 75psi. Thanks to anybody who tried guessing.

It could be something other then rings causing low compression.

The best way to tell if its the rings or not is to squirt some oil in the cylinder and do the compression test again, if it improves then its rings if it doesn't then you have either a BHG or something wrong with the valves.

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not worried about it. I'm going 1J in August or September. I've been planning the swap for several months now. It honestly could be any of the above. I do drive my car pretty hard.