ECU with traction control and transmission control

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I'm looking for an ECU for my mkIII 7MGTE that will allow me to have true traction control and that will allow me to control the automatic transmission.

I was thinking of using an AEM but then I'll need separate traction control and a separat automatic transmission controller. All those things ad up.

Would it be possible to have all those in one? I think the motec will do it, but it is expensive. Are there any cheaper but just as good alternatives?

What would be the cheapest Motec model that will allow me to do the things I want?

Cheapest MoTeC, M600 unless you want to run the M400 in batch fire mode. Keep in mind that short of the M800/M880, you will not be able to assign unused ignition/injection channels to aux outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
The MoTeC CAN do it but you need to keep a close eye on the outputs used.

The Traction control in the MoTeC will be unmatched. Slip% v time based for the AEM.

On the tranny side. I know that if you use lots of I/Os, You will not be able to leverage the MoTeC to control the A340/A341 tranny. IJ ran into that issue.

PM John Reed, PHR (Justin N), to get pricing. Remember, The standalone (regardless of brand save for the AEM) will require purchasing the HARNESS seperately which will add to the price.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Ok, thanks.

If I decide to go AEM, would there be any problems integrating the AEM with say a Racelogic TC and a transmission controller like the Suprastick? I think this combination would be at least $4000.

Would it be more hassle to set up than using a Motec?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
RaceLogic while a good system is single Ignition channel control so it's worth looking into it fully before purchase.

Getting Trac to function acceptably on a high Hp Mk3 has proven to be a challenge even with the MoTeC, in the end I went full DBW control on the throttle as I was finding I had to cut a huge amount of power to control it otherwise.

Once you actually break the tires loose it takes minimal power to keep them spinning.

I'm currently using a PCS Trans controller and :love: it it's simply brilliant and has quite a bit of overhead so with enough inputs connected it can be used to control other engine functions if needed.

Depending on how many other accesories you need/require you could use the MoTeC M800 to drive the trans directly but it'd be a trial and error exercise setting it all up.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Which throttle body/hardware are you using for the drive by wire? I'm having an intake made right now so now is a good time to choose the right throttle body.

Is the PCS trans controller the best you can get?

Seems like it's Motec and a PCS then?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Using a generic Bosch 68mm TB and a 2007 Corolla Pedal that I piggy backed onto the stock pedal to retain the Aussie Cruise Control actuator.

Don't know if the PCS is the best but it has more than enough functions to run the trans and is modern and stable hardware that's proven to be faultless in the time I've had it.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Just a bit off topic.

I have been thinking of how to retain cruise control with a FFIM. And I was considering the actuator at the throttle pedal. (I want ALL the stock stuff to work - A/C, cruise, PCV etc)

Would it be possble to merge this system into a LHD car?

Do you have any pictures or maybe some part numbers so I can order the parts needed?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No pics sorry but the RHD system uses a bell crank that is pulled by the actuator and pushes the top of the pedal back so it should be fairly easy to adapt.

There are a bunch of pics of the piggyback pedal I built in my pics thread.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ

vey nice. So the RHD cc controls the pedal and not the TB? :)

Can not do that with the US (LHD) version as it controls the tb. :(

I am still trying to see how to get CC + DWB working on the MoTeC... though they already do speed limiting function so getting it to speed limit based on the set speed should be doable :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I bounced the MoTeC DBW as Cruise with the MoTeC techs and while it "could" be done it was going to be a nightmare to implement as it needs 2 distinct signals to be generated.

Doing the mechanical version proved much easier and I'm pretty sure could be a retrofit on a LHD car if not a direct fit the idea could be adapted.

Mine works 100% :)
(getting cruise to work was very important for me)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I'll ask a bud of mine tonight, not sure which bits he has left.

Where does the Vacc Motor mount on a LHD car?
(never mind I found a pic)

The RHD one mounts where your ABS lives and uses a short direct cable to the pedal bellcrank, I can't see any reason why you're existing motor and cable wouldn't work where it's mounted.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Not sure what the vacc motor is. Can you spot it?

DCP_3371.JPG

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
IJ.;1164516 said:
I'll ask a bud of mine tonight, not sure which bits he has left.

Where does the Vacc Motor mount on a LHD car?
(never mind I found a pic)

The RHD one mounts where your ABS lives and uses a short direct cable to the pedal bellcrank, I can't see any reason why you're existing motor and cable wouldn't work where it's mounted.

Ok, cool. So I'll just need the bellcrank and maybe the pedal assembly to be on the safe side.