ECU water temp quick fix

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
Hello everyone. I recently did a engine swap and Maft pro install on a 88t. Afterwards I keep getting CEL code 22. if you dont know that is ECU water temp.
so naturally i checked resistance from the plug ground brown to e2 on the ecu and it toned out. then I did green THW it to toned out also so i thought it was good. I had a new sensor in my box of supra stuff i never used. so i plugged it in and.....nothing still CEL 22. now i started thinking it was the pro doing some crazy voodoo on my ECU. Not the case. I realized the plug for the sensor was bad, toyota had not one on shelf. so I hardwired it with stereo connectors followed by solder and shrink wrap. This still did not get rid of the CEL. Now super frustrated i took the sensor with a wip soldered to it and stabbed the ends in to the E2 and THW ports on the back of the ECU connector and started the car. this killed the CEL. "celebration!!"
i ran new wires to the thermo housing and soldered the connections at E2 and THW you can clip the green and leave it hanging but the brown MUST be connected as it grounds other sensors as well. now its great! the car was stumbling at intersections and very hard to start. no problem now.
This is not a permanent fix as far as the plug goes or lack there of but it will let you drive till you can find one. make sure your liberal with the flux and solder at the point where the wire and the sensor touch. its also very difficult to solder that small connection point but it is possible, be sure to slide shrink wrap over the connection point NOT electrical tape it will just fall off.as far as i know there is no polarity issue with the sensor itself, enjoy! i wish i had this before hours of pulling hair out. but probably could have found something if i had some patience and a good know how of how to use the search button.
View attachment 56738View attachment 56740View attachment 56741View attachment 56739

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
FYI I found that EV1 injector connectors work great for replacing the rectangular water temp sensor connectors. The only difference is you need to file one of the locating ridges off of the plastic part of the sensor. I tried buying a new OEM connector from the dealer but could not locate a part number for it for the life of me.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
hay thanks alot! the same part is on ford injectors in the mid 90s. ill just go to pic n pull and snag one up. dint even think about it! i may have one in the bottom of the tool box.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Kai;1822795 said:
...alternatively you could just get the correct connectors:

90980-10737 & 90980-10735 - they come with pigtails, iirc, and they're about $9 each.

82998-12190 is the Female Terminal part number, just in case.

Is this for the pre 89 water temp sensor? I looked everrrywheere for this connector and couldn't find the PN, however the post 89 water temp sensor connector is easy as pie to find. Just want to verify this is in fact the rectangular version.