ECU tweaking?

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
I was talking to a Computer Engineering major at school the other day, who happens to drive a 7m-ge Cressida. He was telling me the stock ECU in his car ran on a Motorola 6800 cpu, and that the ECU had a flashable ROM.

Does anyone know if the Cressida and the Supra use the same ECU? Does anyone here know if what he was saying is true?

If so, that would be sweet! I could so learn to code for that thing... I've already done a bit of assembly programming on the Commodore 64, which has a VERY similar CPU to the M6800. Also, my school has a microcontrollers class in the engineering department that I could substitute for one of my required science credits (I'm a CS major). This microcontrollers class focuses heavily on microcontrollers running on the M6800.

Seems like it might be a fun project. I'm not saying "I'll sell reprogrammed ECUs!" because I won't, but if I do learn anything useful, I'll definitely share what I learn with the community.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Allan_MA70 said:
reg does the techtom thing... google is your friend!

Aye -- I know of Reg Riemer's services. He has put a lot of work and a lot of research into his product, and I doubt I'd be able to make as good of a product myself. This is why I said I would not sell reprogrammed ECUs.

However, his stuff is expen$ive -- $850 and $1000 for a single-program or dual-program board, respectively, and $300 for each single-program reprogram or $400 for each dual-program reprogram. I personally couldn't justify that, since I could get a sophisticated standalone engine-management system for around $2000.

I'm a tinkerer -- I write my own programs, and I do my own work on my cars. If it would be possible to code my own engine management, that would be sweet -- that would be the ideal solution for me. And if our ECUs are based on the M6800, it would be possible -- the information is out there for anyone willing to do the research, unlike with GM or Chrysler ECUs, which are proprietary and require a ton of reverse-engineering to get anything done.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
drjonez said:
see MKIIItech...

Haha... I searched SF and SM before I posted, but I didn't think to search there. Perhaps because you never activated my account. ;)

Actually, I'm trying to look there now, and I can't get your site to load.

EDIT: got it -- it's loading now.

Last edited:

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Hmm... so the rom can't be flashed, and the CPU isn't a stock 6800... I'm guessing the CPU is that one labeled with "D151801-5570", which has 64 pins. The Motorola 6800 had 40 pins.

It could be a modified version of the 6800 with added functionality, though... extra address lines to communicate with sensors, or something. Or my friend could have been full of crap, too. ;)

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Hrm... I can't really find any info on Google on either of the D151801 chips, other than that they seem to be made by Denso. I'll ask another CE buddy of mine if he can tell me where I can find more info, next time I talk to him.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
drjonez said:
you don't need an account to view or search. only post.....and your account is now active.

Thankysir!

I did look on your site -- that's where I found the pic of the board by which I found the numbers on the chips. That schematic for the ROM add-in board was cool.