ECU rev limit crystal modification.

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
I recall there being a guy that put a crystal in our ecus with different timing. Anyways i think hes not doing 7m ecus anymore for whatever reason. Any idea if he ever announced the stock timing of those crystals? If we knew that we could just get the proper % and do it ourselves, or have some computer nerd do it lol... Either way if anyone has any info, lmk. I want 8000rpm of goodness for next season.

Ang

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
na im pretty sure the guy was a sponsor here, i did have a thread about increasing rev limit on sf. So im pretty aware of every possible way, this seems to be the cheapest and easiest.

either way ill do a search and see if i can come up with the timing...

edit: nada on sf.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Id like to know too, because Ive had alot of head work done and could definately bump it up to 7000-7200 rpm... Also, Im still pullin alot of power up top, so it owuld be nice to have more room...

Keep us informed on what you find out...

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
yeah, nothing on sf. though i came across this thread: www.supraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229633&page=1&pp=10highlight=increasing+rev+limit

^ this is what you are talking about right? the link to the lonnnng ass thread you started is on the second page. and, of course, it did say that thread about it was on here. must have been way before the hacks.

back to searching. i want to know too.

edit: argh. gay! stupid sf and not maitaining their old links.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Apparently, the mod he (Racer Jake) was doing on the MR2 ecu wasn't working consistently with the 7M ecu. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. He stopped offering it for our ecu due to that reason.

Reg Reimer can change the rev limiter in your stock ecu or you could go standalone. You'll need one or the other to properly tune an engine sufficiently modified to take advantage of an extended RPM range anyway.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Chevyeater is correct.

He was advertising here, but his results were not 100%, and he was not happy about that, so he asked to be removed.

For the cost to have Reg modify your ECU, I'd just go for an AEM EMS. A little bit more coin for a LOT more options.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, does anyone here have an ecu he modified and can they pull the cover and tell us which crystal he replaced and with what crystal? seems a generic mod to me. just slows the clock speed iirc. and could slow it 5 or 10%. 5% was 7200 and 10 was like 8k if i remember right. id want 7200 on stock valve train. i wont bother with the 8k as ill go standalone on that engine.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Unlikely... I don't think he did more than a couple.

He might be willing to part with the information, try searching for Racer Jake on the MR2 forums, and see if he's willing to point out what / where his idea was.

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
thanks dude. Did anyone from here actually get it done? I think it was the 89+'s that didnt work, Jake was nice enough to give me the info i asked for, ill post it when i get home.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
nice! i wouldnt mind increasing my rev limit a bit... (pre '89 here)

-shaeff

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
heh... I tried to find my ECU because I had it out to take some pictures. I think gnomes stole it though.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
I'm sorry, but I didnt realize how much of a job it would be, so I cant get it out at the moment, but I plan to relocate it sometime in the near future(probably next week), so I'll probably be able to get some then.