ECU pulling my timing

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
if you set it to run 15lbs of boost are you actually getting 15lbs of boost? Mine's doing the same exact thing and I'm gonna pull of the intercooler piping and see if I have a problem there. How do you know if timing is being pulled? At low rpm I have decent power, but once I get into boost it all but quits accelerating. I don't think I'm hitting fuel cut because the car continues to accelerate. I've got a k&n intake and the BIC ddp bolted up to the stock catback (can't afford the new exaust yet) and I'm only getting 4psi at WOT with the stock turbo, stock wg (unshimmed). I'm also having problems with the shims in my head. The head was supposed to be brand new rebuilt but it's way outta spec. I can hear just about every lobe on the cam smacking into the shim while the engine is running. (getting that taken care of soon) if anybody figures out what the problem is please pm me with the solution. I don't have internet right now so I'm only on once in a while. good luck!

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
suprra_girl said:
if it was a boost leak wouldn't boost drop off tho?

if it's pulling timing... maybe it is really pulling timing... engine knocking? got a wideband?

I had a boost leak from the turbo to the intercooler that didn't drop my factory gauge, but did cause major power loss in boost.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
ok. So..I manged to fix my problem and it sounds like it could be yours. I was getting a REALLY HORRIBLE boost leak in the coupler to the throttle body. The bottom of it was torn all the way across. I'm assuming (and correct me if I'm wrong) that due to the fact that I was losing metered air that the engine was adding fuel for I was running extremely rich (HUGE tear in the coupler) the computer sensed that the mixture was way off and couldn't correct it enough and started pulling timing once I got into boost. So...
symptoms: not achieving full boost (4psi instead of 7), dog slow when boost comes on, pulled timing, bad gas mileage, running really rich
solution: check intercooler piping, couplers, intercooler, clamps, etc etc etc

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Gixxr, I would really suspect a boost leak. It may not hit FCO until 5 psi, and you may reach full boost. But when it meters more air then the motor recieves, even if the boost pressure is the same, then it runs rich, and cosequently pulls timing.
Remember that if you pull too much fuel with an SAFC then it adds timing, and you detonate. Well, if you add fuel by losing air, then the ecu pulls timing, and the car runs poorly. See if you are puffing black smoke when it stutters.