ECU problem after swap.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
jdub;1190562 said:
Is this a NA to Turbo conversion?

The color plugs on the ECU and the harness used need to match. Also, there is a big difference between a turbo and NA ECU.

I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you are doing?
Please explain in detail and reference the colors on the harness you are using and the color of the plugs on the ECU you want to use.

1. the colored plugs are both gray, both the same amount of connectors. 6 gray ones as well as 1 white one on the harness. In the car there are 3 gray connectors and one white one. So the colors are the same, however the size of the connectors are different. The harness that came with the 7mgte engine has more wires on it that would plug into my body harness than my n/a harness...

Believe me I know there is a big difference between the gte ecu and n/a, but wouldn't they be able to plug into one another, given that the harness was the same year as the ecu?

Basically I'm doing a 7mgte swap...
body is 92'
(from what I can guess) harness that was connected with the engine I purchased is approx 88-89... Gray connectors.

The problem I'm having is none of the body harness plugs on the engine harness will connect with the plugs in my car.:3d_frown:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First, this thread belongs in the GE Tech Section since it is a NA-Turbo swap. You need to read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34560

I'm moving the thread since you will get more accurate help there.

So, the new harness has grey plugs...it has to be an '89 since the body harness plugs do not match up. I hate to tell you this, but you are going to need a '92 turbo harness...an '89 is considered to be it's own year and the rewire will be a nightmare. Most of the sensors on the new engine should work though...you will have to see which ones do not mate up and replace. As long as the JDM ECU has grey plugs, the '92 harness should plug right in.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for moving it.... Damn.... Didn't want to have to spend 600+ on a new harness... I'm already broke and relying on this for a dd. Haha, oh well shit happens. I've been searching and have come a little closer, but wouldn't mind rewiring it, I have alot of patience.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You'll need to get your hands on an '89 and '92 wiring diagram. Please use proper connectors (like deutsch connectors) to mate the wires.

Last I checked, Champion Toyota has a main harness for around $370 ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If the ECU is grey plug, it's an '89+ and should hook up just fine. The '87-'88 ECUs were yellow plug.
A new harness is an excellent investment ;)

If the ECU is really JDM, you will have to eliminate speed cut....you can do this by buying an HKS speed cut defender or disconnect the SPD wire at the ECU (assuming you have a manual tranny).

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Well, I can't find the part number for the ecu anywhere... So, I'm not sure if it is or not. When i look through the parts catalog, I get nothing... anywho, yes it is gray plug. Thanks alot man. I will contact champion toyota and get the total for the harness.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I contacted my toyota dealership and the lady said " Oh well there are so many harnesses that I need the part number or we'll never figure it out" haha wtf... So appearently I need the part number for a 92 main engine harness( turbo)

:1zhelp:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Your local dealer is not going to give you that price...call Champion Toyota:
800-327-2087 Ask for parts
Ask for Jeff Watson.

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
Poodles;1189135 said:
Ignore him, he's the same one that got proved wrong over and over in the old EGR thread, he knows he's wrong, was proven wrong, but still spreads the disinformation.

What are you talking about? Which EGR thread? Proven wrong?

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
shiftysupra;1189040 said:
well whatever help would be nice instead of pointless bickering. people who remove egr with stock ecu just make engine risk of detonation since it runs hotter which = bhg... may work for select people but removing egr is not a very smart idea [most newer owners are under the assumption it gains power] when in fact there is no loss or gain... just opens a 15+ yr old car to more problems...

EDIT: oh and by the way if you read what i posted correctly before jumping to post...I stated its and import JDM engine. so therfore the egr is already blocked off, still it would run lean because the usdm ecu (if plugs would fit) has mapped for egr and will think your running with it... i'm not trying to offend or rip on anyone just asking to pay attention because i see on here many times were people are misunderstood because the fact the responder never read the question correctly, (like the case above were by fail, the assumption was made that he meant fail emission, when no where in the post did it imply that) and then a huge pointless fight starts because know it alls know just that... all the wrong things and then spread the disease of wrong info because they are too hard headed to be open minded for other opinions.... there is alot of information regarding why you should not remove egr on usdm ecu and no one really listen because they think they gain hp, when in fact you gain nothing but could lose hp or your engine....

that my friends piss me off....

"provide EVIDENCE........and I will remove (or retract or correct) my post and stand corrected"
Its not hardheaded when people who post here are willing to make post retractions, asked to be pointed in the right direction or ask for something more than 1 post to back others assertions. I think the posts here have demonstrated an open minded willingness and humility to find out the details of the topic discussed. This is even more so the case when I run ALL my 7ms w/ EGR and never saw any reason to do otherwise.