ECU problem after swap.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I just finished installing a jdm engine. Installation went fine, blah, except the harness that came with it is pretty weird... I cannot find the m/t clutch switch... That's really not the problem... The problem is i bought an ecu (supposedly a jdm as well) but for a/t tranny (not a problem as you can use it by rewiring) but when i connect everything there is no start, spark or anything. I'm hoping the ecu is not dead but the battery is fine, even tried jump starting it and it wont start... When looking at the wiring diagram and the colors that go with the wires, they are way different than whats printed in the manuals. is it because it's a jdm? I will double check the connections. The part number for the ecu I have, cannot be found and I'm kind of lost as to what to do next. I would prefer to keep it jdm ecu so as to run without egr... The numbers are:

89661-14230

175000-1462 12V

26P 16P 22P

So i'm kind of looking for help and pretty much, moths are coming out of my wallet...:3d_frown:

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
run the orig ecu with ehe egr blocked off. It will make your life more simple.

shiftysupra;1188572 said:
I just finished installing a jdm engine. Installation went fine, blah, except the harness that came with it is pretty weird... I cannot find the m/t clutch switch... That's really not the problem... The problem is i bought an ecu (supposedly a jdm as well) but for a/t tranny (not a problem as you can use it by rewiring) but when i connect everything there is no start, spark or anything. I'm hoping the ecu is not dead but the battery is fine, even tried jump starting it and it wont start... When looking at the wiring diagram and the colors that go with the wires, they are way different than whats printed in the manuals. is it because it's a jdm? I will double check the connections. The part number for the ecu I have, cannot be found and I'm kind of lost as to what to do next. I would prefer to keep it jdm ecu so as to run without egr... The numbers are:

89661-14230

175000-1462 12V

26P 16P 22P

So i'm kind of looking for help and pretty much, moths are coming out of my wallet...:3d_frown:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock ECU is tuned for EGR...

If you can't find the clutch switch, that right there is your problem as it won't start without the clutch pushed in (or the switch bypassed, but you lose cruise control IIRC).

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dulobast25;1188576 said:
run the orig ecu with ehe egr blocked off. It will make your life more simple.

That is a very stupid idea!!! People like you fail and help others fail....the usdm ecu is map'd for egr and it gives better gas milage also it helps prevent detonation at low loads and cruise...you run an egr-less motor on a usdm ecu you can royally fuck a motor!

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I'm sure that the clutch start switch doesn't help any but it's not even getting any power, however the only plugs that are plugged in are the 3 to the ecu... and for that guy that said use the usdm one, since it was a 92 and the engine for an 88-89 the plugs are not the same.... I have to figure out which wires are which because the rest of the harnes (besides the 3 that go to the ecu) do not match up with the harness inside the car... I'm guessing because since he harness hooks up to the 88-89 ecu, that the 92 car harness will not match up, so I'm guessing I will need the wiring diagram for both so that I can rewire everything... haha, if only someone in Tucson could help! I will post pics of what I'm talking about tomorrow, I'm too damn tired... It also doesn't help that I'm going to have to lengthen the harness due to the fact I was told when I purchased the engine that it was LHD and it turns out RHD.... :3d_frown:

EDIT: I would not run the EGR off with a usdm ecu... I did that and going up a hill in the summer in AZ = BHG. Plus the plugs are diff...

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
gaboonviper85;1188593 said:
That is a very stupid idea!!! People like you fail and help others fail....the usdm ecu is map'd for egr and it gives better gas milage also it helps prevent detonation at low loads and cruise...you run an egr-less motor on a usdm ecu you can royally fuck a motor!

Provide EVIDENCE of 2 7ms that have failed due to bybassed EGR and I will remove the post, retract the statement & stand corrected. I haven't seen any that didn't already have BHG. And no, I don't fail and help others fail either.

As a side note, going uphill in summer in an other than perfect and less that 15 yrs old 7m can lead to a BHG in any event.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
well whatever help would be nice instead of pointless bickering. people who remove egr with stock ecu just make engine risk of detonation since it runs hotter which = bhg... may work for select people but removing egr is not a very smart idea [most newer owners are under the assumption it gains power] when in fact there is no loss or gain... just opens a 15+ yr old car to more problems...

EDIT: oh and by the way if you read what i posted correctly before jumping to post...I stated its and import JDM engine. so therfore the egr is already blocked off, still it would run lean because the usdm ecu (if plugs would fit) has mapped for egr and will think your running with it... i'm not trying to offend or rip on anyone just asking to pay attention because i see on here many times were people are misunderstood because the fact the responder never read the question correctly, (like the case above were by fail, the assumption was made that he meant fail emission, when no where in the post did it imply that) and then a huge pointless fight starts because know it alls know just that... all the wrong things and then spread the disease of wrong info because they are too hard headed to be open minded for other opinions.... there is alot of information regarding why you should not remove egr on usdm ecu and no one really listen because they think they gain hp, when in fact you gain nothing but could lose hp or your engine....

that my friends piss me off....

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ignore him, he's the same one that got proved wrong over and over in the old EGR thread, he knows he's wrong, was proven wrong, but still spreads the disinformation.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dulobast25;1188994 said:
Provide EVIDENCE of 2 7ms that have failed due to bybassed EGR and I will remove the post, retract the statement & stand corrected. I haven't seen any that didn't already have BHG. And no, I don't fail and help others fail either.

As a side note, going uphill in summer in an other than perfect and less that 15 yrs old 7m can lead to a BHG in any event.

I don't have to prove shit....you are an idiot who won't learn...and as far as you removeing your post, I can simply bring this thread to a mods attention and im sure it will be taken care of..

Your logic is fail...I smoke but I won't stop untill someone proves to me that it will hurt "me"....that's the logic you live life by then you are not ignorant you are simply stupid.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Anyways, logical reasoning made me realize I need to review the tewd for both 88-89 and 89+-92... This engine swap is going to turn into a huge rewire project.... :icon_mad:

So maybe a new tech post will come out of it so some other person won't have to do this, unless any of you know how to rewire and 88-89 engine harness into an 89+-92 body harness.... Cannot find any info on it

EDIT: ok, so I dont know why I was so stupid.... it's a 92' car with and 88 ecu and harness.... it absolutely wouldn't work... the wires are too many in the 88 harness to make it work, i have to send back the 88 ecu and sell someone the harness and get myself 89+ - 92 harness and ecu... thanks you guys. Proof the search button works if you want it to...

Last edited:

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
gaboonviper85;1189181 said:
I don't have to prove shit....you are an idiot who won't learn...and as far as you removeing your post, I can simply bring this thread to a mods attention and im sure it will be taken care of..

Your logic is fail...I smoke but I won't stop untill someone proves to me that it will hurt "me"....that's the logic you live life by then you are not ignorant you are simply stupid.

Dont start the name calling. Besides its empty because ur tallkiing big sh*t behind a computer, so dont waste my or anyone elses. Time. If you wanted to take it to another level, let me know.

"Your logic is fail", yes I had to go there. Don't start the name calling at the beginning while in places your own post lacks proper word use. Ignorant, hardly as I stated if sonmeone here gave some evidence I would stand corrected. I don't think that fits an individual who is ignort. Look it up sometime. Stupid, well sorry, to dissappoint,. (whatcan you put on the table). Hard to prove or disprove that here.

Your smoking analogy is flawed because I don't smoke, nor do I run a blocked EGR. I don't personally believe in bypassing emissions equipment. As such, I'm not a fanboy or any such description. The individual in this post who wants to bypass the EGR wants to do so, not me. I do however have many friends that have and do, and without incident.

The most you could say is that I don't practice what I preach, (never said I did) or that I should know much more about other member's experiences before I post, which I concede I should have probably done. I just haven't seen or met or read anywhere else about anyone that had this problem and I'm been tinkering around with supras since 1990.

Since you dont recognize humility in my offer to remove the post and to
stand corrected but rather view that as an offer to get the mod involved like the tough guy you are, go ahead. But I think I should be allow to retract my own statements thank you very much.

Now that I am done responding to the personal attacks, I wll search on here for the various threads on here about the EGR engine failure issue. It will give me a chance to learn something that challenges what I have recommended earlier in this thread.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
haha, seriously. was talking about a wire harness issue and then bam "egr this and that" really am confused, but am on the lookout for a jdm 90-92 m/t ecu if anybody knows...

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
In the car there are gray and a couple white ones... On the harness they are gray as well but a little more bulky (if that makes sense) my car is a 92' n/a and the harness that came withthe engine i bought is most likely an 88-89 as well as the ecu i bought (that was told it was 90-92') because they plug in easily and the harness with the engine i bought will not plug into my old ecu

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Is this a NA to Turbo conversion?

The color plugs on the ECU and the harness used need to match. Also, there is a big difference between a turbo and NA ECU.

I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you are doing?
Please explain in detail and reference the colors on the harness you are using and the color of the plugs on the ECU you want to use.