ECU Location For Motor Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
ECU is behind the glovebox. Lower glovebox, remove rear black plastic, look up.

The engine harness plugs into the ECU. ECU stands for "Engine Control Unit," so it has to go in the harness. The engine harness has plugs that go to the body harness plugs which are located next to the ECU.

CountyBoy(DZY)

Banned - doesn't play well with others.
Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
I'm used to Buildin' Hondas Man lol. The Cabin Harness went through the Firewall, which also Plugged into the ECU. Then you Plug your Engine Harness into the Cabin Harness. I have an Issue. I'm tryin' to put a 7MGTE into a 1990 Chevy 1500 and make it a Drag Truck. Since the ECU Plugs into the Engine Harness on an MK3, how Hard would it be?

CountyBoy(DZY)

Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
Yes, new Motor Mounts, Driveshaft Mods, Clutch Master Cylinder... Some things will need to be done... But will it be Hard for the ECU and Engine Harness to be put in a Chevy?

CountyBoy(DZY)

Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
So how is Wiring an Issue if it Plugs into the Engine Harness? Not The Cab Harness, but the Engine Harness, which is also gettin' Swapped... I mean the ECU controls the Engine... It's all UnCut...

CountyBoy(DZY)

Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
The Engine (7MGTE), the Engine Harness, and the ECU is gettin' Swapped, along with the Transmission... If the ECU Plugs directly into the Engine Harness and not the Cabin, how will Wiring be an Issue?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
ECU is located behind the glove box. Take that off and it is bolted at the top by the hook. There are "Body plugs" that come off of the engine harness that are plugged into the dash (body) harness to provide the information on the cluster.

This is the TSRM (Toyota Service Repair Manual)

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

*edit*
Damn typed this forgot to hit enter and see its already been covered LOL

CountyBoy(DZY)

Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
OK... With just the Engine, the Engine Harness, the ECU, the Transmission... Can I use the Factory ECU and the Factory Engine Harness and the Motor Run Properly? Gauges and all that is later... Everything from Under the Hood of my MK3, even the Diagnosis Plug, the Factory Engine Harness with the Engine, and the Factory ECU, will it Start and Run?

CountyBoy(DZY)

Apr 24, 2012
Princeton, West Virginia
That's the thing... I'm not using the Body Harness... You said the ECU Plugs into the Engine Harness... So what's the need in the Body Harness, besides Gauges and Temp Readings?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can put any motor in any car.

Just need to wire up ignition switch and run power for the Ecu.

It's just like doing a jz swap in a mk3 but your putting a 7m in a Chevy.

NO need to get all mad about it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
And no one here will be putting up with it. CountyBoy(DZY) will not be joining us in the future.

ban_hammer_stickers-p217071316663592890envb3_400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.